GPO Review - Computer Configuration - Software

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Hey Everybody! This is the first of many threads that will run on a weekly basis. Due to my schedule, I can commit for posting a new thread between Wednesday and Friday!

This week we will start at the top and stay within Computer Configuration until we get through it. Obviously, the main difference between Computer Configuration and User Configuration is that Computer Settings are applied before you get to the Login Screen, and User Configuration applies after the Domain Authentication (Logon) occurs.

I, personally, don't have any entries within the Software Section at this time. But, from what I understand, this is where you could deploy software to computers to be "published", which would allow users to Install them from Add/Remove Programs.

See Screenshot

Since this topic, from my standpoint is light, I figured I would add a few more tidbits...

Check out this utility, I am sure most of you have seen it already, but it makes viewing reports on your settings a snap!
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A6D4C24-8CBD-4B35-9272-DD3CBFC81887&displaylang=en

Also, I was able to sneak a peek at this book earlier today, and I highly recommend it. Mine is on the way! (Thanks go to NetRyder for posting this link earlier in a different thread)
http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/8763.asp

So, let's get this GPO party started. Come one, come all, share your screenshots and opinions!

Week to week we will just be changing topics/threads, we can still post!

Attachments

• gpo1.bmp
    450.2 KB · Views: 223
I use GPO Software settings to deploy and maintain Microsoft Office 2003.

madmatt said:
I use GPO Software settings to deploy and maintain Microsoft Office 2003.

Hmmm.....screenshot? Wouldn't you use WSUS to maintain (meaning applying updates)?

You set it up as a package and let people install it, right?

Was I correct in assuming that if it is there, and in the "published" state, it appears in ADD/Remove Programs?

Yeah, they should appear in Add/Remove Programs after they're published.

addremove4xi.jpg

NetRyder said:
Yeah, they should appear in Add/Remove Programs after they're published.

addremove4xi.jpg

That's hot, essentially can't you run all your applications that way? Would this be beneficial as opposed to pointing users to a UNC path to install applications?

EDIT: If they click Windows Update, and the GPO is done correctly, would that point them to WSUS or would that button still go to the web?

I deploy the application to my OU's using GPO. I maintain updates via WSUS.

You could also use it to deploy Adobe applications and patches. You just have to extract the MSI from the package.

Personally I haven't tried, but I know they use MSI now.

madmatt said:
I deploy the application to my OU's using GPO. I maintain updates via WSUS.

What is your method of notifying users the applications are available? Do you use net send, group e-mails or broadcast messages? Something else?

If you assign an application to be published through GPO it will install when they start Windows; before it allows them to login.

After Windows goes through NETLOGON you will see a dialog that says "Installing managed application Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 1".

madmatt said:
If you assign an application to be published through GPO it will install when they start Windows; before it allows them to login.

After Windows goes through NETLOGON you will see a dialog that says "Installing managed application Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 1".
I just got an app installed on my machine at work the same way yesterday. :)

madmatt said:

Interesting stuff indeed. If it is published, and it installs at boot like you say, is there a way that it checks to see if it is already installed? This way you can leave an app published, for new machines on the domain, or whatever, but at the same time you dont' want it re-installing or anything....right?

Once it's installed, it shouldn't reinstall, even if it's still in the list of published applications on the server. :)

NetRyder said:
Once it's installed, it shouldn't reinstall, even if it's still in the list of published applications on the server. :)

I figured, so it just checks then I assume. Does it slow down boot process while checking?

I can't really say. Logging on to a domain seems slower than logging on to a machine on a workgroup in any case, since it has to go through all the network stuff. I imagine this might add a few more seconds to it, but not much.

It's just like any other policy applied through GPO. If it's already setup it doesn't bother setting it up again. Policies are applied during the NETLOGON and it's just like any other setting.

Prior to WSUS I applied administrative patches to my administrative installation point. After which I would re-deploy the application which updates the workstations with the latest version. You can do this by right clicking the application and choosing re-deploy.

I Just used this option for the first time, deploying the Shadow Copy Client :lick:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back