Got Spyware?...throw out your PC

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by tdinc, Jul 18, 2005.

1. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

I just read this article at the New York Times. I got a good laugh out of it. I thought you would too.....(QUICK NOTE) because you need to have a login account. I pasted the article. sorry for this)

"What a Moron":laugh: :rolleyes:

2. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

If I post my mailing address and let you send all the "throw-away systems" to me COD - will that be OK???

DY is thinking about cleaning them up and reselling them on e-bay for a couple of hundred dollars! :devious:

3. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

You've got to be kidding me. What happens with the new computer? More spyware. That's not a solution... that's idiotic.

So what's on the hard drives of all those computers being thrown out? Pretty scary!

4. tdinc

This is the kicker of the whole story...."Mr. Tucker, an Internet industry executive who holds a Ph.D. in computer science"....:s

5. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

This just goes to show how much of a throw away society we live in now when ppl don't think twice about tossing $200-500 or more out in the trash then blow that much more for a replacement pc. Heck if they wanna throw good money away like that let them send the pc's to me and I'll clean em up and find them homes. There's lots of ppl around here that don't have access to computers other than at the local libraries who would probably love to get one of those for free.

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

The guys a complete idiot. Throw it out, BS. Donate it to a local charity and take a write off for the full value. The guys an igotistical *******.

And as for the guy who's teenagers didn't want to clean up the PC. That's easy. You don't clean you don't surf.

Only the New York times would print something that stupid.

(Well, to be fair maybe the Wahington Post would too).

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Although complete stupid I think it happens more then people would like to admit. And with people buying cheapo PC's for ~$300 it's sadly almost cost effective for a n00b to do as paying $50+ a pop for someone to fix it adds up.

8. Xie

To steal a quote from /. by Edsger ..

9. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Thats just f***ked up man. How bout he throws em this way? I got some ppl who could use a computer. (Just gave my cousin a 233Mhz upgrade win98 from a 286 win3.1 :p)

Think of all the garbage this would generate. :O

10. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

It's like pulling over to the side of the road and abandoning your car because it ran out of gas...

Not to mention that it's their own damn fault for having so much malware.

11. Admiral Michael

nice analogy dreamliner77.

There are programs out there that can help control spyware/adware thats its stupid to even think of doing that. Liek firefox, spybot etc...

Also, why not just format, buying a new system would require some installation of software so why waste a perfectly good comp.

Besides why torture the hardware, its not it's fault. :D

12. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Well thats got to be one of the dumbest reasons for throwing out a computer. Heck like most of the rest of you I would take them clean them up etc.

Well maybe its time to start looking in the trash etc and see what we can find in there since this happens

13. tdinc

Im going to find out where this guy lives and stand by the curb of his front yard when he throws out his PC and take it....

14. Admiral Michael

LOL, maybe we can use them for folding :D

15. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

and as mass storage too...why think of it a dedicated OSNN storage site, that folds...KCNYchief must be drooling.:laugh:

16. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

The real kicker though is that there is no real need to be bothered spending $50 a pop to clean out all the crapware cuz it's not hard to learn how to reformat a computer's hard drive. I mean if I could master reformating without any clue what I was doing beforehand and without any directions than anyone who can turn on a computer, read the screen, and can install software can learn how to reformat by looking directions up online.

17. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

I got two words for Mr PHD....

GHOST IMAGE...

what a freaking Marooon as Buggs would say...

:rolleyes:

18. ejn74

ejn74 Folding Master! Political User Folding Team

It happens a lot I have picked up a couple of computers that way. I work for a cable company so I come across these computers once in a while.
    People just don't bother with protecting their computer. They now that they need home, health and auto insurance but forget to put some time in to insure that there computer will run smoothly for them

19. Xie

Indeed but I think the majority of people don't want to be bothered with more then reading email and learning to find that "great site". :p Also non-computer folks believe that you need these faster and faster computers in order to read their email even faster! So when it comes time to either spend time (hours/days) to clean their computer out or upgrade (throwing old one out) they usally upgrade as the old one is "slow" (they have no idea it's soley due to all the crap on their system).

20. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team