News Google stops development of Google Wave

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fitz, Aug 5, 2010.

1. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Google has stopped developing their Google Wave product due to "lack of adoption". In all honesty, I didn't use it much but could see a lot of potential. I think a lot of people just didn't want to change their way of thinking/working (myself included). I did find some use for it and had some spirited debates and conversations on it with various people and did find some use for it as a collaboration tool for certain work situations.

The problem was, it tried to be an email/IM/Sharepoint/Social Networking conglomeration all-in-one type system and never really excelled at any of them.

source: Google Blog

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I never really used it that much, so I won't miss it ..

3. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Great idea, but never having anything I need to collaborate with anyone else on I really never used it. Those that used it everyday are going to miss it allot though, as it really was like nothing else out there.

4. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

I think the problem with stuff like this is that most individuals don't have much use for it and groups large enough to have a need for it either use a commercial product or don't want their private data on google servers. I know a lot of places that have strict rules about google docs and company documents, etc.

5. Xie

I believe Google was in the works of making it so a company would host their wave on their on servers. It was one of the "selling" points of Wave.

6. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Oh really? Interesting. Admittedly I don't know a lot about Wave I'm just speculating as to why it was not a big success.

7. Xie

I think it was being it was such a broad use case that people had a problem wrapping their head around it. It wasn't *just* a social app, it wasn't *just* a collaborative app, ect. Because of this it never hit the "critical mass" that would draw more people.