Google GMail

DeeBeeS

OSNN Addict
This article was in the London Metro Newspaper today and may be of some interest.

Are we spied upon too much?

THE NEW WEBMAIL service planned by Internet search engine Google was attacked yesterday as nothing more than online snooping.
Users of Gmail will receive adverts personally targeted at them after computers scan their e-mail messages, civil rights campaigners claimed.

E-mails could remain on Google's servers even after Gmail users have deleted them from their in-boxes.

Campaigners also voiced concerns that Google might use 'cookies' - files containing people's personal details and their surfing habits - to build up a picture of the user. Pressure group Privacy International said it had complained to the Information Commissioner, who is responsible for upholding Britain's privacy laws.

Director Simon Davies claimed that Gmail's proposals were a 'vast violation' of European privacy laws, which are much stricter than those in America where Google is based.

Maurice Westerling, of the Dutch privacy group Bits of Freedom, said: 'If a person deletes an e-mail, he should be confident it is actually deleted. Google cannot just open e-mails. Communication in Europe has very high protection.' Google insisted that e-mail scanning would be done by computer, not by people.

'No humans read your emails to target the ads,' it stated.

Gmail's offer of free storage of up to 500,000 pages of e-mail per customer would enable people to retrieve huge numbers of old messages, it added

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back