Google Desktop Search final

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by NetRyder, Mar 7, 2005.

1. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

[​IMG]

For those of you who use this...it's finally left the beta stage.
    Now indexes Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird/Netscape as well.

http://desktop.google.com

2. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I'd switch back ... but I've gotten so used to MSN's deskbar. tsk tsk.

3. NetRyder

Same here. :D

Besides the deskbar, I also like the fact that MSN DS displays the search results using a shell namespace extension rather than in a silly browser window (what were the folks at Google thinking?), so you get all the nice Explorer-like functionality...context-menus, drag-and-drop etc.

I really have no use for the browser cache indexing feature, and I use Outlook 2003, which is fully supported by MSN DS. For Thunderbird users, GDS is a nice option though. I think the only significant thing missing in MSN DS that I'd *love* to see is an API that developers can use to plug in the search system into their own applications. The latest version of GDS has this, and it's a great feature.

4. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I still don't trust this thing ... Thanx for the info though dude ..

5. NetRyder

Not a problem, Johnny. :)
    What part of index-based search apps do you not trust? Just curious...

6. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

I'm the Paraniod type. I prefer to search the old fashion way... don't look for it when ya need it, cause you'll never find it. Just wait and it will pop up when ya least expect it and when ya don't need it.

Seriously though I still frown at something that you would install on your computer to search for things on yer computer and your e-mail and the web sites you visit and so on.

What is so wrong with that?

Being lulled into a false sense of security due to laziness.
    What can I say, just freeks me out. :(

7. Johnny

I just use the normal search. Not something that saves things when you think you deleted them ..

8. NetRyder

Just a quick comparative summary that I posted on my blog :)

9. vern

Anyone know if GDS searches your network drives?

10. NetRyder

Not out-of-the box, according to this page. There is a registry hack, but there's a caveat that makes it pretty pointless.

11. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

According to the EULA it "indexes and stores" your information for easier searching. I'll pass on this one. There's just something that weirds me out about that. Besides, I can't remember the last time I searched for something on my computer and wasn't able to find it with the built in search. My Outlook 2003 has built in search capabilities... it's not useful to me.

12. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

I find this funny, most of you guys are say "oh I'll pass" "I don't like the idea of this" but all the Mac folks just can't wait for a similar thing from Apple in their newest release of Mac OS X Tiger (10.4)

Xie likes this.
  13. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Yeah Spotlight is very similiar.

14. Dublex

Dublex Quazatron R6 droid

It also appears that MSN have added their desktop search function to the new beta of MSN messenger, at least according to the version I have and the tests I am carrying out.

15. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

What amazes me is people actually think Google (or Microsoft) are cataloguing peoples hard drives and them keeping the results. Of course it index's the HD and stores it, that's the whole point! but it does it only on your machine.

I use MDS, mostly to search email (and i have a lot of pictures) since i have about 5 years worth and every now and then i need to find an old email and Outlook search is rubbish (very slow and often unsuccessful). As a test I turned of auto update and blocked all MDS apps from accessing the net and its never even tried to

NetRyder likes this.
  16. Johnny

it isn't that khayman, it's the fact that this thing saves all your info. So anyone who gets on your pc can find what you have, even if you delete it ..

17. gonaads

Paranoia will destroy ya :D

But it could keep you safe.

I myself have always been of the school of redundant paranoia with computer security. It has kept me safe for many a year.

18. NetRyder

Exactly my thoughts. It's absolutely absurd and ridiculous to think your search index is being sent to someone over the internet. These are reputable companies we're talking about. They're not going to compromise their image just so that they can read some email John Doe sent to his aunt.

There's nothing wrong with the built-in search in XP or Outlook or anything else for that matter. It's just that indexed search is orders of magnitude faster and can search within documents and email (not just the filename, sender, subject etc.)

I'm personally a neatness-freak when it comes to organizing stuff on my drive. I know exactly where everything is, and I don't keep anything that's unnecessary. Even then, MSN Desktop Search was an absolute god-send for me (heck, I'm even on their Testimonials page now).

Here's a simple question. What's faster - navigating through Explorer to a file that you want, or typing the first two letters of the filename (or even the contents if you happen to forget the filename) into the deskbar and having it come up instantly? What's faster - looking through your inbox for that mail from a specific person that came with a specific attachment that you want to open, or typing the first couple of letters of the subject or content into the deskbar and having the message pop up instantly? And when you repeatedly perform such tasks multiple times a day, every day of the week, your productivity increases drastically.

Now if you don't need something like this, it's all well and good. But if it's paranoia that's preventing you from using indexed search applications which could otherwise have made your tasks simpler and faster, you're just missing out. Your loss. :)

19. gonaads

yeah yeah...:p It is quite true. But I seriously don't need it. I tend to file everything in a way where I know where everything is. Always. :D

And so I'm paranoid, soooooooo...

*hears sound of black helocopter in the distance*

errrrrrr, gotta go.

20. vern

So I just installed GDS. I miss the MDS shortcuts. :( ... but I'll get over it. I stopped using MDS because for some reason it just stopped indexing. When it starts up, it just stays at initializing. It didn't index network drives too well either. Hopefully Google comes up with something soon that actually does work.