Good Range router.

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
I'm looking at two different routers that are 1. Cheap and 2. Have decent range.

The two so far I'm looking at is the Netgear WGR614

and DLink DI-624S

any other ideas would be great!!

IMO, you can never beat a Linksys WRT. And with 3rd party software, you can even increase the broadcast strength. In my experiences, it's worth it to pay a few extra bucks for the Linksys.

Perhaps I got a lemon, but my experience with the WGR614 was not very good. The wireless component of it was very flaky, so I returned it to the store a few days later. On the other hand, the Netgear MR814 v2 I had before that was a pretty solid router.

I currently use a Linksys WRT54G with the DD-WRT firmware, and it's the most feature-complete and most stable wireless router I've had so far. If you decide to get a WRT54G, I definitely recommend using a third-party firmware like DD-WRT. It's a huge step up from the stock Linksys firmware.

I have a WRT54G version 6.

Where and what file for DD-WRT would I get?

Best range? Wireless-N.

what revision of the linksys are you using NetRyder? I want to make sure I can get a good signal and be able to flash it properly. I've heard of DD-WRT all over the net and was really thinking about it.

what revision of the linksys are you using NetRyder? I want to make sure I can get a good signal and be able to flash it properly. I've heard of DD-WRT all over the net and was really thinking about it.
All revisions prior to v5 (1.0 to 4.0) had 16MB of RAM and 4MB of flash, so they supported the "full" version of DD-WRT. 5.0 and 6.0 have 8MB of RAM and 2MB of flash, so they only support DD-WRT micro. The 16MB/4MB model is still sold as the WRT54GL if you want it.

You can still control the transmit power on any revision of the WRT54G upto v6 though. v7 uses an Atheros chipset, which DD-WRT doesn't support yet, so stay away from that one.

My netgear WRT614 is very disappointing on range. Have not used any Dlink.

this is really weird!! there is no clear cut winner for this question. I get a lot of people that think all three of the big companies are garbage. I'm so confused. My dlink 524 won't send out a wireless signal anymore but the other dlink at my moms is going strong (624). But I don't think I want another dlink.

Linksys is winning!!! I think?!?! ;(

I'm just trying to find a good price now on the linksys...g or gl, whichever I can find a good deal on.

Thanks all for the info and please keep the opinions coming ...maybe sway my opinion!

there are so many factors ... location of wireless router..walls ... fluorescent lights ... humidity... temperature ..other wireless things in a home.

go with the wrt one and upgrade the firmware to pump out maximum power.

got the WRT G...don't know which Revision yet but I didn't want to spend more than 50 before tax. will let you know how it works and if I flash it!!

thanks guys!!

I have a WRT54GL with DD-WRT build 23. I tell ya, this is a nice router.

to add it's the rev 6 so I can still use the dd-wrt micro for the router. I'm going to use it normally and see if it works. If it doesn't work well I'm going to upgrade to the dd-wrt micro.

Got a quick question...is it ok to have mac address filtering for your wireless network instead of a wpa-psk? Should you have both? I'm confused.

it is ok, just an added level of security to the WPA

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back