Good news for Socket A users

Unleashed

We Speak Geek
GOOD NEWS FOR all Athlon XP and Duron owners and people who love Socket A is that this platform is about to stay with us for quite some time.

The Duron of the 21st Century, an Athlon 64 with 32 bits capability enabled and 256KB cache will be enabled for Socket A, used in many shipping boards.

Most of the motherboard manufacturers actually are strengthening this market segment as they know that the K7/K8 value era is about to come. AMD will kill all K7 Athlon XPs but will replace them with Sempr0n K8 derivates.

The good news is that only a BIOS update will enable Sempr0ns to work on current Socket A boards, perhaps not all but I guess the majority of them. We suspect that you need FSB 400 to have those CPUs work as all K8s are working at FSB 800 or should we say 200 MHz. Yes we know that Hypertransport is AMD's FSB these days.

The Sempr0n Socket A will work at 2500+, 2600+ and 2800+ for starters.

We said last week that these speeds 2500+, 2600+, 2800+ in Athlon XP variation have reached their EOL – End of Life cycle while faster will remain for some time.

Now it seems that Via was not crazy after all with its KT880 chipset or Nvidia with its Nforce 2 Ultra with S-ATA and Gbit LAN Southbridge as this platform will live. Platform will be powered with different CPU cores, but who cares as long as you can sell the board and make millions of upgrade users happy.

If you are an Athlon XP owner you will have a nice opportunity to upgrade. We can not wait to see how this Sampr0n 2800+ will go against Athlon XP 3200+.

The Link

I am sure my pentium is a socket A, have to check motherboard notes. Sound like a good idea to me.

Lee said:
I am sure my pentium is a socket A, have to check motherboard notes. Sound like a good idea to me.

LOLOL,

I'll supply the pliers to cut off the appropriate pins to make it fit.

Heeter

Lee said:

Hope not cos Socket A is only AMD based not Pentium.

Lee said:

Please rephrase and recheck before ya become the humorous highlight of this thread. :p

gonaads said:
Please rephrase and recheck before ya become the humorous highlight of this thread. :p
Mmm go find somone else to pick holes in. You've waited weeks to write that lame comment, ohh well you can fill my ignore space.

Tweakfiend said:
Hope not cos Socket A is only AMD based not Pentium.
Tiny computers sent me an incorrect motherboard panflet I guess.
They're that bad they sent me a ME recovery disk for a xp system.

Not to worry i was corrected already a longtime ago when this was first started as a thread and obtained the correct literature from the web for my ex motherboard.

Lee said:

LOL idiot
:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back