Good Heatsink, fan

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by silky62678, May 21, 2003.

1. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

are there any good cheap "under 20 dollars" heatsink fan for overclocking a xp2400 ? If not, forget the 20 dollars part, what would be a good sin, fan for overclocking a xp2400 no mater the price "under 50 dollars"

2. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

volcano 9 and a volcano 11 with ac3

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Volcano 9. Do not use the under chip heat sensor, it's a bad idea. See other posts herein. Attach and set the speed control for the noise/cooling you can live with.

http://www.coolerstar.com/thervol9cpuc.html $17.50 plus shipping.

If you don't have the CPU yet get an xp2500 barton instead. They have more headroom for overclocking (up to XP3200), a bigger die area to improve heat transfer and a bigger onboard cache.

The xp2400 is getting pretty close to the limit for the Tbred design. Also if your xp2400 is not a "B" version forget overclocking.

4. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

5. mbunny

mbunny Guest

6. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Do you have to mount fans on them?

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yes! there are no fanless heatsinks on the market for medium to high-end cpus. they simply create too much heat.

friend and i recently bought the Swiftech MCX462+ for his 2400+... with a nice quiet 80mm fan, his temps are about 15°C lower than with the coolermaster hhc-001. the extra air from the 80mm fan sure helps, too... opposed to the 60mm one. but the mcx462+ was not cheap!

you can also undervolt your 2400. i forget what the stock voltage was on it... 1.65v? 1.75v? whatever it was, i got it to run .1v under and it was still totally stable and is a free and easy way to lower your temps. so maybe do that and get a volcano 9..? that should be plenty.

8. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Remember to Lap a new heat sink because of the way they are manufactured. If you don't lap it then you probebly won't gain much more performance than your orginal heat sink.