Good Backup software

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ming, Jan 4, 2005.

1. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I need to back up around 20GB of files from upto 4 difference partitions but not sure what softwares are available to do this safely and efficiently. It wouldn't matter too much if it doesn't allow multi-partition backup as I can just transfer all those files on to one partition and do the backup that way.

I would use Norton Ghost, but not sure of the idea of having to install the thing again IF I re-installed windows. I do have the DOS version of Ghost, but not sure if the partition size affects the backup/restore.
    Any ideas?

One other thing I would like to ask is - should I use compression to back the files up or not? How safe is using compression as I've heard negative opinions regarding this.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

What about good 'ol xcopy? You just have to make the cmd files which is pretty basic stuff.

3. Lukas

Lukas Real Name No Gimmicks

If you are talking about ghost images I can't help you. If you are talking about backing up only data (only documents, not system settings and files) I personally use Nero BackItUp tool. @ Work we use windows backup...

my two cents

:)

4. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

Lexun Backup Solution 1.4 is a good start. really not sure how much detail you are looking for ...program is free....find it at majorgeeks

link to download

my 3 cents... :)

5. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

If you don't want to Ghost the image then XP Pro has a backup utility and so does the Home version but the Home version does not install it by default.
    On the Windows XP Home cd look in the VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder for the installer.