Gonna build my PC today!

Mubbers must have the P4S800, which is based on the SiS 648FX chipset. It's the only p4 board that I could find that supported 800FSB processors and only had 3 DIMM slots. As such, it IS NOT a dual channel board. Also... read the website, it only supports 1 DIMM when using PC3200. I say return the mobo and get something based on the 865 chipset. If you had gotten the P4S800D, it would have been based on the 655TX chipset, which is dual channel and has 4 DIMMs... also as far as the PSU goes, try to pick up either an Enermax or an Antec. The PSU is NOT the place to start skimping and going "budget".

I admit to a massive amount of ignorance on the subject of building PCs.

I selected the board mainly because it was 3.4 GHz and 800 FSB. Although I've considered returning the RAM I hadn't considered swapping the mobo. Given that it's massive 3D Mark score I'm after what would be my best mobo choice?

Mobo = P4P800S-E Deluxe

I guess this is how everyone learns? :D

Thanks everyone for all the input :)

Flip!!

I ordered the wrong gear... I was looking at the P4P800 SE on ebuyer with max 4GB memory. Eventually for various reasons I decided to buy from scan and bought a P4P800 SE.

Except it wasn't the same P4P800 SE. The one I got was the 848 chipset the one I wanted was the 865 chipset... Ggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrr

Two P4P800 SEs? How daft is that?

:mad:

Ded Morozh said:
The Nforce2 set up with 3 slots IS a dual channel system, but it can only support up to 2 Gigs in Dual Channel mode usually. It's one memory channel per stick. I have seen dual channel set ups with 4 slots, but those are usually on p4 and AMD64 boards

athlon xp board that i personally have.
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc..._Code=M&Product_Code=110649&Category_Code=AMB
the board is absolutely awesome, i will recommend it to anyone

Mubbers said:
I selected the board mainly because it was 3.4 GHz and 800 FSB. Although I've considered returning the RAM I hadn't considered swapping the mobo. Given that it's massive 3D Mark score I'm after what would be my best mobo choice?

the intel D865GBF is the board that i run with the 3.0 with HT awesome as hell, and my benchmarks are huge. 3d benchmark was at 3800 with a radeon 9600 AIWpro and benchmarking the pc itself, i got just over 4100.

goatman said:
every nForce 2 motherboard made only has 3 slots! and it's a good dual channel setup

Again, the mobo i posted above, is an nforce 2 board, athlon xp with 4, count em, 4 slots. supports ide, and sata raid... go read about it.

I say get the P4S800D-E Deluxe.. It's based on the SIS 655TX chipset and the 3 reviews I've seen have been incredibly positive and all the benchmarks show it putting the smackdown on the Intel i875 board. Plus, it's only $106 on newegg (though you're in the UK). Needless to say, it's a good bit cheaper than most of the Intel-based boards and performs every bit as well. Only thing it lacks is the gigabit NIC integrated in the southbridge (the Asus uses a Marvell chip to give gigabit NIC). Needless to say, go read the review on HardOCP: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTU0 and read a couple others from the other hardware sites (I think I saw one on firingsquad.gamers.com).

After reading the reviews i think i would go with the board cryogenic suggested. for the sole sake that both boards support Sata drives, but the one he suggests does sata raid, and the intel does not.

I went for the ASUS i865 chipsetted (setted???) P4P800 S Delux. It has 4 x DDR ram slots so I get to use the RAM I ordered. It supports SATA / RAID.

I also went for a CWT 500w PSU just to keep everything straight.

I should be getting the mobo tomorrow so I look forward to posting results.

Ded Morozh said:
The Nforce2 set up with 3 slots IS a dual channel system, but it can only support up to 2 Gigs in Dual Channel mode usually. It's one memory channel per stick. I have seen dual channel set ups with 4 slots, but those are usually on p4 and AMD64 boards
Thats what NerdUprising is saying. He should go with a 4 slot solution.

Dual channel

I read some time ago that you can use banks 1 & 2 as dual channel, to use bank 3 it has to match the total of memory in banks 1 & 2, i.e
Banks 1- 256mb Bank 2- 256 mb
Bank 3- 512mb
This should work in dual channel mode.
As I said i read about it somewhere so I stand to be corrected.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back