Gone over to the mac side of life

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by ste_w, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

Hey all

Finally got a 13 inch mac book white 2.4 ghz 2gb ram version with leopard installed on it. Just wondering what essential software i'd need free or otherwise. I listen to alot of music, read news, check facebook and playing abit of spore on it at mo. So whats kool thats out 4 it? 100% new to macs.

Thanks,

Steven

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Well Music = iTunes pretty much, News and Facebook can be done with Safari.

I'd also recommend these apps.

Growl - http://www.growl.info/
    A system notification system, most windows like equivalent is the MSN Messenger task bar pop-ups

Little Snitch - http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html
    An outgoing firewall monitor. Alerts you when an application wishes to make an outgoing connection. You can then permit or deny the connection.

AppZapper - http://appzapper.com/
    Makes removing applications as easy as installing them. Installing you just drag the .app file to the Applications folder (though this isnt required) then run. When they run they will install various support files to the system. AppZapper helps you easily find these support files when you want to remove an application. I recommend this application, especially at the beginning when you install loads of free apps which you then want to remove.

Flip4Mac - http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_tech.htm
    Enables the playback of WMV files in QuickTime.

Colloquy - http://www.colloquy.info/
    Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client

Adium - http://www.adiumx.com/
    Well rounded IM client based on LibPurple.

You can find more at http://www.apple.com/downloads/

3. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

Woo welcome to the better side of information technology ;) I agree with Geoffs suggestions;

..also I use Skype (phone calls), Transmission (Torrents) and Cyberduck (ftp) regularly :)

Have fun with your mac.

4. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

Thank you. I'm trying bittorent beta for mac at moment. Hardly had chance to browse net for transmission as i'm at work at the moment. is it better than bittorrent you think?

5. sean.ferguson

as far as my opinion goes... Transmission is a much better client than the Bittorent official client :) its lightweight, simple and i always get quicker speeds through transmission :)

6. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

transmission is a bittorrent client.. and probably the best one for the macOS

7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

The official bittorrent client is now utorrent. I don't think transmission comes anywhere close from what I've used of transmission for linux over the years.

8. Geffy

Its the best of rather slim pickings of torrent clients for Mac

9. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I don't think uTorrent released a final version of uTorrent for the OS X.. my understanding was it was still in development but not released as a final release.

10. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

TextMate if you do any programming
    PixelMator for a PhotoShop replacement that works extremely well and is fast
    Awaken to turn your new laptop into a very expensive alarm clock
    Disco to burn CD's and DVD's. I prefer it over the Finder built in one
    HandBrake to rip DVD's
    NetNewsWire for RSS feeds
    VLC to play any and all video files

11. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

Once again thank you. I've been browsing June 2008 Desktops and some of the Mac ones have an album art display and transparent controls for what i'm guessing is iTunes. Anyone know what this program is?

12. sean.ferguson

possibly Synergy... I know that it is a third party control progam for iTunes :)

13. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Don't forget to get anti-virus software :)

14. sean.ferguson

whats the need? :p

15. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Point out on good piece of anti-virus software for Mac OS X that is not a resource whore, and does not cause major slow downs while doing its work and I will use it. Until then I will just practice safe browsing and not being a general dumb ass.

16. Sazar

Bootcamp + Vista?

:smoker:

j/k

17. Sazar

How are you liking the form-factor?

I am SERIOUSLY looking at a light-weight, small form-factor product that will serve as a mobile device only. Doesn't even need to have an internal optical drive (a la the Air).

Is Leopard pretty snappy? I think there are plenty of Mac power-users on the forums here to help you eke out every little ounce of productivity out of your system :)

I am not sure if you do much with video packages but I have found the pro version of quicktime to be decent for fixing up a lot of videos that I have taken with either my camera or my camera-phone which other tools can't really save. I have noticed QT to be a little quirky and a little too quick to usurp media playback defaults from other players, but it does what it's supposed to well enough.

18. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

Well i do work for Apple here in the UK but was mainly there to help users convert from windows to Mac. I know about hardware etc so the main reason i got a mac was to aid my job because i cant sell a product 100% if im not used to the operating system. The 13" mac book is more than easy to carry around especially in a Tucano Second skin folder. Easy to clean, always looks neat and for the size...very powerfull. Hell of alot more powerfull than the air, and i'd go as far as to say that because of its size it can be quite difficult to use on the go. Something abit heavier i.e the pros of normal macbooks are far more easier to use.

What do you mean by form factor exactly?

19. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Was considering getting a mac mini myself for work. Seems much better setup for web dev which will soon be a big part of my job :)

20. Geffy

jeebus, just remembered I forgot to mention QuickSilver quite simply the best app for the Mac. It took me about a week to get used to but now I'd be lost without it.