God bless George Bush!!

M

mavis

Hey guys, I just posted this at a couple of hardware forums I go to, but I thought you might enjoy it as well ... :) Any thoughts?
--------------------

Hmm... just saw some bad news and TV and was reminded of something I read online a few weeks ago. I saw on the news here in Japan that over 50 whales beached themselves near Cape Cod today. That reminded me of an interesting article which talked about the Bush administration ok'ing use of an LFA system for the US Navy.

Researching a little more about LFA, I found the following information:

from msn.com:

Whales are particularly susceptible to sonar interference because they rely on sound for communication, feeding, mating and migration. According to the Navy, each of the sonar’s 18 speakers transmits signals as loud as 215 decibels, equivalent underwater to standing next to a twin-engine F-15 fighter jet at takeoff.
Environmentalists say, however, that with the convergence of sound waves from each of the speakers, the intense effects of the system would reach farther, as if the signals were 235 decibels.

Some biologists believe whales are irritated by sounds louder than 110 decibels and that a whale’s eardrums could explode at 180 decibels.

Environmentalists’ fears are partly based on the Navy’s deployment of a powerful mid-range sonar in March 2000 during a submarine detection exercise in the deep water canyons of the Bahamas.

At least 16 whales and two dolphins beached themselves on the islands of Abaco, Grand Bahama and North Eleuthera within hours. Eight whales died. Scientists found hemorrhaging around the brain and ear bones, injuries consistent with exposure to loud sounds.

And here's another interesting tidbit:
from nrdc.org:

According to the Navy's study, scientists briefly exposed a 32-year-old Navy diver to LFA sonar at a level of 160 decibels -- a fraction of the intensity at which the LFA system is designed to operate. After 12 minutes, the diver experienced severe symptoms, including dizziness and drowsiness. After being hospitalized, he relapsed, suffering memory dysfunction and seizure. Two years later he was being treated with anti-depressant and anti-seizure medications.

IMHO, President Bush should be exposed to, alas, not 160 decibels - but rather the full 215 decibels he thinks are ok for whales to hear.

Anyway, I seriously wonder if the Bush administration's wanton disregard for life is indeed responsible for the mass beaching today. I really hope not ... :mad:

mavis

YEAHHH!!!!

Just so you know I live under Emperor George II and it SUKS A$$
If you think his reign is bad to watch you ought to try living here...
I feel so ashamed to be an American with this chimpanzee runnin things I just want to scream...TO THE REST OF THE WORLD...WE DID NOT VOTE FOR HIM...AND WE STILL DONT WANT HIM...THE POLLS YOU SEE ON THE NEWS ARE BS MADE UP CRAP...Trust u me there are a lot of us who want him gone....:mad:

Believe me, I know - I was there (I am American, and just moved out of the country a couple of months ago). The whole elections bit was a crock of you-know-what, and it sickened me then, as it does now, to think that people were so naive as to overlook how Bush's strong personal ties with oil and big business would effect decisions he would make in office. While this LFA thing has nothing to do with either big business or oil (I guess), there still remains the fact that while Gore was a big supporter of gov't funded research into alternative energy sources, Bush (for OBVIOUS reasons) has slashed those budgets.

Anyway, while the alternative energy thing disgusts me as it shows a total disregard for this planet, the outright mass killing of whales bothers me even more, and finally it is something whose effects can be readily seen.

The scary part is that so many people actually approve of using LFA (according to the msnbc poll), citing concerns for national security. I fail, however, to see how people can connect low-tech terrorism with super-quiet submarine technology. I mean, even if a terrorist like Bin Laden managed to get his dirty hands on a weapon of mass destruction, the fact remains that the delivery method would NOT be a high-tech super-quiet top-secret submarine. The fact that people can blur the lines of reality and distort the risk/threat factor in such a blatantly erroneous way is frightening.

:(

mavis

Mavis you are one after my own heart...This thread could go on for days and I would not run out of SH%$ to say...sorry for the almost swares but that man will do it to you...

bush is a bit of a crock... his speeches.. his decision making... everything are a bit nutty...

BUT he does happen to have a very good team... pity they do not have the right to express themselves... look what has happend to colin powel... one of the most decorated men around and he is a mouth piece that routinely gets muzzled...

I suppose thats one way of killing off any chance the man might have had for the presidency...

the whales mate... think of whats going to happen in alaska soon.. he protects florida's wildlife for his brothers reelection campaign and then he pushes for drilling in a wildlife sanctuary... thats just nutty...

:)

Nsync

Oh you people are way out of of line the navy DID not have anything to do with whales beaching themselves.
and do you know why i know this?
Because I witnessed the cause of this tragedy first hand
The culprit?
None other than my wonderful darling wife,she dropped her waterproof sony cd player of the side of my boat with the last NSYNC album playing.
I can only imagine the vast pain this put the whales through and beaching themselves was there only way out.
My wife apologises to everyone and promises to know longer listen to S%*#*ty music.

Re: Nsync

Originally posted by hefty lefty
Oh you people are way out of of line the navy DID not have anything to do with whales beaching themselves.
and do you know why i know this?
Because I witnessed the cause of this tragedy first hand
The culprit?
None other than my wonderful darling wife,she dropped her waterproof sony cd player of the side of my boat with the last NSYNC album playing.
I can only imagine the vast pain this put the whales through and beaching themselves was there only way out.
My wife apologises to everyone and promises to know longer listen to S%*#*ty music.

LOL:D :p

mavis

Originally posted by catch23
Just be glad we didn't have to put up with Al Gore during 9/11... we'd be dead by now.

THATA FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back