GoBack

eddieb

OSNN Addict
I just tried installing GoBack and it wouldn't "protect" all of my drives. It installs fine for my boot drive (C:) and sees my other drives but won't set up the other drives. Any ideas? Thanks! I'm running Windows XP Pro.

By default Go Back protects all partitions on the existing h/drive it is installed on .
THE gobackio file holding all the back up info is a hidden file installed in C Drive by default.
There is a "custom install" choice during loading of the program, perhaps you changed something there, in error ?
The version you should be using is 3.21, version 3.00 does not work properly with XP.

If you search around you will see that GoBack has caused major problems for many, some requiring a reformat.

I'm running Win XP Home with GoBack. I have two hard drives, and it protects both. I can't remember how I set it up, but it works fine. I've had GoBack for at least 3or 4 years, and have heard all the stories about how bad it is, but I think it's the best software I ever bought. I haver NEVER had a problem. Peace. Hippie

As you said , the software is very sound .
I have been using it for 5 years and it beats the hell out of Systems RESTORE.
Dont have it as active for example, when using any benchmarking software.or before installing your anti virus program as it results in massive hard drive activity.

I found the problem, thanks to the Maxtor website. Somehow the boot sector became corrupt. They suggested I do a quick low level format. It worked great. GoBack is installed and working fine. I have to agree that it is a very good piece of software. I have never had a problem with it. As usual, not all software will work on all systems. Thanks all!

I don't use that or system restore. Slows down disk activity which is already slow enough as it is. Rather I do periodic Ghostings.

The following extracted from this article:

Does System Restore cause any performance loss on my System?

Answer: No, System Restore does not cause any noticeable performance impact when monitoring your machine. The creation of a Restore point also is a very fast process and usually takes only a few seconds. Scheduled System Checkpoints (every 24 Hrs by default) are also only created at system idle time so that their creation never interferes with any user using the machine.

2-3% slow down with system restore (from an old volume of APC mag). Goback more intensive and slows down speeds even more - very easy to tell as hard disk runs continuously at times.

Originally posted by coathanger007
2-3% slow down with system restore (from an old volume of APC mag). Goback more intensive and slows down speeds even more - very easy to tell as hard disk runs continuously at times.

I will not say a word about GoBack as I have never used it - but I still do not understand how System Restore could slow a system which is at idle when the auto RP's are being created?? And if you manually create a RP - that is obviously your main objective - so it wouldn't be slowing anything you are concerned about then either????

System Restore does require a service to run in the background that has a minimal performance impact, and its recorded backups take up hard drive space. Also causes havoc with Norton Antivirus
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...882569510073d04f?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

Because GoBack monitors all file changes, it does have a performance impact. On Business Winstone 2002 tests, we saw a 14 percent performance degradation with GoBack enabled. Winstone hits the hard drive at a very fast pace and saves files much more frequently than a typical user, so the performance impact in actual usage should be less pronounced.
http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=41762,00.asp

Let me just say that I read the article you referenced from symantec and I agree 100 % - System Restore does affect NAV - but so does an Image or a "GoBack". If I download virus definitions today and use a RP, an Image or a "GoBack" from two days ago - obviously, the latest virus defs will not be there - and that's basically what the article you refernced said- thus by your way of thinking - virtually no matter what type of backup you use - it is going to "cause havoc with NAV"! Bah humbug!!!

I wasn't referring to the updates! I was referring to errors !

NAV 2003:
If you run System Restore and the Virus Definitions entry in the NAV System Status screen displays "Error", then follow the steps in the document "Error" is displayed in the Virus Definitions entry of the Norton AntiVirus 2003 System Status screen.

NAV 2002:

If you run System Restore and see the error message "Unable to initialize virus scanning engine database files" or "Unable to initialize virus database scanning files" after restart, then it indicates that the virus definitions folder and the scanning engine no longer match. To fix the problem, follow the instructions in the document Error: "Unable to initialize virus scanning engine" or "Unable to initialize virus database scanning files" after installing Norton AntiVirus or running Windows System Restore.
If you run System Restore and the Virus Definitions entry in the NAV System Status screen displays "Error", then follow the steps in the document "Error" is displayed in the Virus Definitions entry of the Norton AntiVirus 2002 System Status screen.

NAV 2001:
If you run System Restore and see the error message "Unable to initialize virus scanning engine database files" or "Unable to initialize virus database scanning files" after restart, this indicates that the virus definitions folder and the scanning engine no longer match. To fix the problem, follow the instructions in the document Error: "Unable to initialize virus scanning engine" or "Unable to initialize virus database scanning files" after installing Norton AntiVirus or running Windows System Restore.

For more information on how NAV works with Windows System Restore, see the document Windows System Restore and how Norton AntiVirus interacts with it.

Heh, Heh, I love your last paste and copy - however you left off a sentence that prefaced and qualified all those "What if" situations for the different versions you cited:

For everyone's info - the sentence omitted was:

If running LiveUpdate does not fix the problem or you see an error, then follow the instructions in the document that applies to your situation and your version of NAV:[/B ]

This tells me to try liveupdate first - which is a given for NAV after running a System Restore! It never says this $hit is going to happen everytime!

No matter what type of restore/image/backup you do - you have to "update" everything (including virus defs) from the point of the restore/image/backup to the present!

Enjoyed the conversation coathanger007
:D

The reason I was so persistent was that I've always had problems with both system restore and NAV AFTER updating. I was soooo annoyed that I stopped using both. I'll leave you people to your own opinions.

That's good coathanger007 - discussion like you and I just shared is good for a forum and good for others - who, like you & I, have to make up their own minds!

I will never say "ya gotta do it my way" and I don't think I ever came out and said "your way is wrong" (and if I did I am sorry) - everyone has to decide what "suits them" the best and whatever that decision is - is the best decision for them!

I make my own decisions, as I am sure you do, based on your experiences and your system and God knows what is right for one system may not even work on another!

Cheers M8!:D

Originally posted by coathanger007
Gotta love threads with happy endings :D

That's how I wish all threads ended!!:D

Unless someone else has more to add and then we can discuss all over again!!! Heh Heh!

I have used Go back deluxe for ages now, it's o.k. sometimes the logs empty. Was told by support it was a video driver problem. Even though updated nvidia driver still lost logs on reboot.

Now symantec own it, I hope they resolve issues to do with their own software if there are any present. Latest version is gbd_v321b106_usa_update for XP. Not sure about other o.p.s as I don't have it installed on my other o.p.s I have on other partitions.

I have a friend that uses an loves go back (he's constantly needing to use it), but his machine is incredibly slow.I put PS7 on it the other day an I've never seen a machine take so long to do something as simple as change the background color of a layer.And he has a 2g amd an 1g of ram.He would like me to take his machine an make it fast like mine.I have done this twice now.Each time he gets it back an puts go back on an whatever else I dont know an it really slows it down.Maybe he should try leaving it inactive sometimes as RogerPhillis has said.

I jus use ghost and drive image. I dont let anything run in the background at least not in the startup folder of msconfig.Me likes speeed! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back