Go away stupid profiles!

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by BouncingSoul, Dec 28, 2010.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

I need to capture an image of a lab machine. Problem is that all of the kids who use the machines have profile folders that I can't remove. There are hundreds of folders in c:\users\%username% and I need them gone. If this was XP and I wanted to do this, I'd simply delete them, at a later time if a user who was removed tries to log on that machine, windows will make them a new profile folder. But in 7, it just doesn't work. I try to delete those folders but upon reboot, windows puts them back. But even then they aren't back-back, they are corrupt, because if you try to login it won't let you use the folder. It will instead give you a temp folder and warn you that any settings you change won't be saved. I read about a fix here:

Delete Windows User Profile in Registry

It doesn't seem to work either. This shouldn't be this complicated. I just need to delete some folders and not have them magically return. Can anyone help me with this>

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

would cutting them to a different folder help?

you could remap the login path or you could restore it yourself when you're doing the work you want to get done

3. BouncingSoul

Doesn't matter what I do to them; cut, rename, delete ... They always come back. I think they are backed up into that invisible 100 meg system partition that Win7 makes on install. Then every time you reboot Windows copies them out of that into the live system. It's annoying. I love Win7, but some of the things it does are frustrating!

4. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I would have to say it, but you might have to do a reformat.

5. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Have you removed the users as well as their profile folders? I could understand Windows re-creating the profiles of users it still sees. Quick Google search shows that if you delete the users your asked if you'd also like to remove their profile.

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I was under the impression that he already did that, which is why I said about the reformat lol..

7. BouncingSoul

These are all domain accounts, so no local users to delete and no prompt to remove their files either. I was able to delete the folders from domain users, however the local admin folder can't be deleted. In fact when I do delete it and reboot the folder gets recreated and I get a administrator.computername along with it. So now I have even more folders that are in the way. I think as long as the domain user folders are gone I'll just take it and move on. It's not even a huge deal, aside from how much bigger the image is with 100+ users included.

8. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I'm not an expert on MS domains, but what if you unhooked the network cable? If the system doesn't see a domain controller it can't re-create those users (or try to) can it?