Go away stupid profiles!

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I need to capture an image of a lab machine. Problem is that all of the kids who use the machines have profile folders that I can't remove. There are hundreds of folders in c:\users\%username% and I need them gone. If this was XP and I wanted to do this, I'd simply delete them, at a later time if a user who was removed tries to log on that machine, windows will make them a new profile folder. But in 7, it just doesn't work. I try to delete those folders but upon reboot, windows puts them back. But even then they aren't back-back, they are corrupt, because if you try to login it won't let you use the folder. It will instead give you a temp folder and warn you that any settings you change won't be saved. I read about a fix here:

Delete Windows User Profile in Registry

It doesn't seem to work either. This shouldn't be this complicated. I just need to delete some folders and not have them magically return. Can anyone help me with this>

would cutting them to a different folder help?

you could remap the login path or you could restore it yourself when you're doing the work you want to get done

Doesn't matter what I do to them; cut, rename, delete ... They always come back. I think they are backed up into that invisible 100 meg system partition that Win7 makes on install. Then every time you reboot Windows copies them out of that into the live system. It's annoying. I love Win7, but some of the things it does are frustrating!

I would have to say it, but you might have to do a reformat.

Have you removed the users as well as their profile folders? I could understand Windows re-creating the profiles of users it still sees. Quick Google search shows that if you delete the users your asked if you'd also like to remove their profile.

Have you removed the users as well as their profile folders? I could understand Windows re-creating the profiles of users it still sees. Quick Google search shows that if you delete the users your asked if you'd also like to remove their profile.

I was under the impression that he already did that, which is why I said about the reformat lol..

These are all domain accounts, so no local users to delete and no prompt to remove their files either. I was able to delete the folders from domain users, however the local admin folder can't be deleted. In fact when I do delete it and reboot the folder gets recreated and I get a administrator.computername along with it. So now I have even more folders that are in the way. I think as long as the domain user folders are gone I'll just take it and move on. It's not even a huge deal, aside from how much bigger the image is with 100+ users included.

These are all domain accounts, so no local users to delete and no prompt to remove their files either. I was able to delete the folders from domain users, however the local admin folder can't be deleted. In fact when I do delete it and reboot the folder gets recreated and I get a administrator.computername along with it. So now I have even more folders that are in the way. I think as long as the domain user folders are gone I'll just take it and move on. It's not even a huge deal, aside from how much bigger the image is with 100+ users included.

I'm not an expert on MS domains, but what if you unhooked the network cable? If the system doesn't see a domain controller it can't re-create those users (or try to) can it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back