Gnome 2.6 Beta Release

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by NetRyder, Mar 10, 2004.

1. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

A development/beta release of 2.6 was just made public a few days ago. The expected date for the final release is about March 22nd, so we can probably expect to see it sometime towards the end of the month.

Until then, here's a great preview of all the new goodies :)
    http://www.ilug-cal.org/GNOME-2.6/GNOME_2_6.html

Looks awesome, in my opinion (just imagine it being Aqua-fied :D). I'm very curious to try the new "spatial" Nautilus...drag and drop galore! The new file selector looks really convenient too.

Todd from Dropline Systems plans to release a version of Dropline Gnome based on 2.6 sometime later as well, so that should make the transition for us Slackware users nice and smooth. Very cool [​IMG]

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

w00t his images are working again :p

3. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Looks great. Maybe with a new release of Gnome, I can dig deeper and finally try to fix my Metacity problem.

4. NetRyder

5. NetRyder

Dropline GNOME 2.6.0-test1 is now available. Just updated my copy two days ago. Nautilus, and Gnome in general appear more responsive. The new file selector is awesome. Nautilus has gone spatial and takes a while to get used to, but once you get a feel for it, you can really understand the true power of drag-and-drop.

Check it out [​IMG] A final release is scheduled for later this month, although the current test release seems *very* stable as far as I can tell.

http://www.dropline.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2262