GIMPing a GIF

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
well I am really, really unskilled/experienced in this field - but recently just for the heck of it was playing around with GIMP and decided to have a go at making a ground, flattening it, then having text "unfurl" in what has gotta be the simplest way to try to make an animation. GIMP supports this and I am following this tutorial.

Problem is I am really struggling with step two - I want to add coloured text and every time I do so it seems to go monochrome. Either that or somehow is not adding it to the frame, but to the underlying "alpha"? I must be missing something major - I do not get the "floating" frame.

I've had numerous faltering steps - like realising the opacity setting on the frames was darkening everything. I've spent a few hours on this and thought I would ask some "experts" or more experienced folks here to give their input or point me to other tutorials that may get me going.

Is it like this with all creative work? Or do you reach a point in the learning curve where things flow more easily? I'll be persisting anyways - and no doubt something may crop up by way of signature at some time....

Mainframeguy said:
Problem is I am really struggling with step two - I want to add coloured text and every time I do so it seems to go monochrome. Either that or somehow is not adding it to the frame, but to the underlying "alpha"? I must be missing something major - I do not get the "floating" frame.

You must set all the text attributes before you enter the text.

To create colored text in GIMP:
1 - Choose the Text tool.
2 - At the bottom of the Tools panel there is now a black bar.
3 - Click on this and a panel will open with a color palette.
4 - Click/drag on the palette until you get the color you want for the text.
5 - Close the panel.
6 - Make sure the bar is now the desired color.
7 - Choose the font, size, and style.
8 - Click on your image where you want the text to display.
9 - A panel will open for you to enter the text.
10 - Enter the text and close the panel.
11 - Voila! The text appears on the image with all the attributes you set.

Lew

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back