Giants are the Champs

Well that the Pats cheated before is still to be hammered out by all involved. All teams do what they can to win. I remember when the 49ers were to play the Packers and Walsh was signing autographs and he screwed up by leaving a paper/napkin or whatever it was that he had written down like the first 10 plays for that game stuck to some Packer fan's paper/picture or whatever. That Packer fan was said to have given it to the Packers before the start of the game. Now did they use it? Well the way the game started it sure as hell looked like it. But the Packers denied it. My point is if you have an opportunity to win and it's not above board but can get away with it you will do it. All teams do it and it's not O.K. to cheat but it IS done. Many many don't get caught. The Pats got caught. But this season they ran there games fairly. And you can't say they didn't because the entire NFL was watching them. Or are you going to say once a cheat always a cheat? They were on a mission to dispel any notion that they couldn't win any other way. And they almost did it, but they ran out of gas. 19 games is a long long time to keep up any sort of outstanding performance or game play and the Giants had peaked. It showed when they played that last game of the season.

And shame on you perris for trying to elicit any inflaming. This is not the way we do things here, you know that. Or do you miss The Patriot that much? (no pun)

And the Giants don't inherit any 18-0 anything. They are simply the team that slayed the dream.

Last edited:
ah well, I can always delete my flame baiting post then.

can't a guy have some fun enjoying one of the greatest super bowl defeats in history?

Yes you can. Hey, we still luv ya. ;)

No, not that way. :p

ah well, I can always delete my flame baiting post then.

can't a guy have some fun enjoying one of the greatest super bowl defeats in history?

Yes yes you can, lets just keep the playing field level...

Notice, I never once said they didnt deserve to win...

The Giants won, the Pats lost... but I still defend my original view:

THe Pats lost because they were worried about Brady... if they had stuck the the same plan they used all year, and it worked on everyone of their 18 opponents in the regular and post season up until the Super Bowl...

Is it their own mistake? Damn Skippy... did Belichicken make a BIG mistake by not letting one of the best kickers in the NFL attempt a 49 yard field goal.. YOU BECTHA...

GO REDSKINS!! :smoker:

Mike A!

Yes yes you can, lets just keep the playing field level...

Notice, I never once said they didnt deserve to win...

The Giants won, the Pats lost... but I still defend my original view:

THe Pats lost because they were worried about Brady... if they had stuck the the same plan they used all year, and it worked on everyone of their 18 opponents in the regular and post season up until the Super Bowl...

Is it their own mistake? Damn Skippy... did Belichicken make a BIG mistake by not letting one of the best kickers in the NFL attempt a 49 yard field goal.. YOU BECTHA...

GO REDSKINS!! :smoker:

Mike A!
honestly mlakrid, do you believe you would have the same opinion if the attempt was made and missed?

that's a tough kick, I know he was supposedly doing it in practice but you don't know what the coach knows or saw

I think it's too long a kick even though everybody was beating up on him after the game, I think they'd still beat up on him if the attempt was made and failed

"how could he let him try a 49 yd field goal in the superbowl?"

has anyone asked belichick the reason he didn't attempt?

It was enclosed in a dome, with no wind or elements...

I dont appreciate all of you making it personal, my statement about it being a bad game. I think it was, even if the patriots had won, i would have said the same thing.

Also, lets put this SpyGate thing to bed. they taped the first few seconds of the first game, nothing more. And for that matter, those tapes weren't even watched. Get your facts straight, and stop being a bunch of babies, the tapes didn't improve the patriots season 1 bit.

Vanquished, how do you know the tapes weren't even watched? They were destroyed remember? For some asinine reason. Good for the league that they are investigating this dumb crap. Any team caught should automatically forfeit their highest picks, unlike what the Pats were forced to give up, plus monetary fines.

And to reiterate, that was one of the best games I have seen in a LONG time. A game of consequence with dominating performances on defense and the offense having to be almost perfect or make incredible catches or runs to get a first down.

As Michael Strahan said, "We stomped you out". :p Well that is playing to the NY crowd. And some Pats fans will think that it is arrogant of him to say that. But the Pats fans on this thread here from a Patriots Fan site admitted to being "stomped" to a point and thoroughly beaten. And some didn't like it at all. But...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=77250

For now the Patriots will not know what it's like to be the Steelers, the 49ers, or the Cowboys. (5 rings) Or even the Packers of old for that matter. Some day... maybe.

And the '72 Dolphins can breather a sigh of relief.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, now the Patriots are like the 1984 49ers and the 1985 Chicago Bears at 18-1. Only difference is the Bears and the 49ers won their Super Bowls. :cool:

Also worth mentioning that spygate may not be over - since last Friday there are new claims to look into from the first year they won a superbowl. Apparently there was stuff taped from the pre-game and other areas of the Rams :eek:

Time will tell.

honestly mlakrid, do you believe you would have the same opinion if the attempt was made and missed?

that's a tough kick, I know he was supposedly doing it in practice but you don't know what the coach knows or saw

I would have applauded his guts to call for a field goal from 49 yards...

who goes for it on 4th and 13??? I don't even do that in my nfl console games unless it is the 4th quarter and there is less than 5 mins left and I am on their side of the field, otherwise I try and kick the field goal or down the punt near the goal line and hope to smother another drive... or maybe even get a safety...

I think it's too long a kick even though everybody was beating up on him after the game, I think they'd still beat up on him if the attempt was made and failed

"how could he let him try a 49 yd field goal in the superbowl?"

has anyone asked belichick the reason he didn't attempt?

How is it too long a kick? his longest this year was 52 yards... and this IS the superbowl, what better time to try it? If you make it you look like a genius... if you miss, you look like a retard... (at least from the medias perspective) Just my opinion mind you, and we all know what they say about those...

:smoker:

Mike A!

Vanquished, how do you know the tapes weren't even watched? They were destroyed remember? For some asinine reason. Good for the league that they are investigating this dumb crap. Any team caught should automatically forfeit their highest picks, unlike what the Pats were forced to give up, plus monetary fines.

And to reiterate, that was one of the best games I have seen in a LONG time. A game of consequence with dominating performances on defense and the offense having to be almost perfect or make incredible catches or runs to get a first down.

I agree but am confused by the portion in red above... are you saying that the pats deserved to lose more than their first round draft pick? or...

Are you saying they should have lost ONLY the draft pick and not the $$$ fine for Bellicheck?

Mike A!

Last edited:
I would have applauded his guts to call for a field goal from 49 yards...

who goes for it on 4th and 13??? I don't even do that in my nfl console games unless it is the 4th quarter and there is less than 5 mins left and I am on their side of the field, otherwise I try and kick the field goal or down the punt near the goal line and hope to smother another drive... or maybe even get a safety...

How is it too long a kick? his longest this year was 52 yards... and this IS the superbowl, what better time to try it? If you make it you look like a genius... if you miss, you look like a retard... (at least from the medias perspective) Just my opinion mind you, and we all know what they say about those...

:smoker:

Mike A!

One thing you have to remember Belichick probably thought, "Hey we can move the ball and score we don't need to try the Field Goal ". Now if he misses it then the Giants get it and have a run at scoring. And granted the Kicker was kicking it further before the game. Hey, no pressure, no 300 pound Defenders coming at you trying to block the kick, no distractions. Yeah right. What happens in practice before the game is not the same thing during the game. Granted we will never know but there are too many what ifs and Belichick maybe didn't want to chance it since the game was so tight. Maybe he had more confidence in his players to score than they did.

I agree but am confused by the portion in red above... are you saying that the pats deserved to lose more than their first round draft pick? or...

Are you saying they should have lost ONLY the draft pick and not the $$$ fine for Bellicheck?

Mike A!

The Pat's did not lose their highest available pick. They only lost one pick and it was their lower ranking pick. It doesn't hurt as bad as losing your top available pick. I think they should have lost their highest pick AND the money for bringing the game into disrepute.

Look at the NBA. If there is an issue, it is addressed almost immediately and resolved and everyone is warned and things are better for the disclosure.

Look at the NFL, something happens, they destroy all the evidence and pretend everything is fine.

The MLB? Steroids, nuff said.

The Pat's did not lose their highest available pick. They only lost one pick and it was their lower ranking pick. It doesn't hurt as bad as losing your top available pick. I think they should have lost their highest pick AND the money for bringing the game into disrepute.

Look at the NBA. If there is an issue, it is addressed almost immediately and resolved and everyone is warned and things are better for the disclosure.

Look at the NFL, something happens, they destroy all the evidence and pretend everything is fine.

The MLB? Steroids, nuff said.

No, not nuff said, the league has the rules set in place the way they have had them for years... they can't just pick and choose...

The higher pick was picked up because of a trade... thus they are allowed to keep it, how do you propose they fix it?
Get the old player back and give the earlier pick back to the originating team?
I follow the mantra of my grandfather... don't complain unless you have an idea of how to fix it...

This was not a steroid scandal, and this is not MLB, but even if you could compare the two, which I personally dont think you can...ho long has MLB has turned a blind eye to this problem for?

This was a team who was breaking a rule about not taping and viewing images of games, which MANY other teams have done, the league decided to make an example of them...

I mean give me a break, enforce the rule on everyone or get rid of it... everything in the NFL is taped and the teams simply now use TiVo's and a team of people looking over the televised information since it's live... what is the real difference? Should they also have a 2 minute delay on the broadcast to make it nearly impossible for teams to use this form of "cheating"?

If you have a gripe with the rule then write the NFL...

In my opinion... now its Nuff said...

Last edited:
No, not nuff said, the league has the rules set in place the way they have had them for years... they can't just pick and choose...

The higher pick was picked up because of a trade... thus they are allowed to keep it, how do you propose they fix it?
Get the old player back and give the earlier pick back to the originating team?
I follow the mantra of my grandfather... don't complain unless you have an idea of how to fix it...

This is an ethics violation of the highest degree. My proposed fix was taking away their higher ranking pick. I don't care if they got it from a trade. Don't get caught cheating then.

This was not a steroid scandal, and this is not MLB, but even if you could compare the two, which I personally dont think you can...ho long has MLB has turned a blind eye to this problem for?

A long time, and they are having more congressional meetings regarding this.

This was a team who was breaking a rule about not taping and viewing images of games, which MANY other teams have done, the league decided to make an example of them...

WHY is it that the patriots name keeps popping up all the time and that there is (was) physical evidence supporting the claims? 5 tapes is a fair bit. If there are other teams with physical evidence, throw them under the bus. They also should be sent a message.

I mean give me a break, enforce the rule on everyone or get rid of it... everything in the NFL is taped and the teams simply now use TiVo's and a team of people looking over the televised information since it's live... what is the real difference? Should they also have a 2 minute delay on the broadcast to make it nearly impossible for teams to use this form of "cheating"?

I don't recall watching media blacked out practice sessions, or any significant practice sessions on tv.

If you have a gripe with the rule then write the NFL...

In my opinion... now its Nuff said...

You cheat, you get your due comeuppance. I fail to see why you have a problem with this.

Sazar,

You are missing my point entirely... you are bit'chin because they didnt lose their highest pick...

My only contention is that you can not have them lose their highest pick IN THIS INSTANCE... the rules are VERY clear on the matter, they lose the highest pick for the NEXT FOLLOWING year... which was their second pick of the first round, the first was theirs by a TRADE... in my mind the NFL is trying to quiet this whole thing down by controlling what we in the public know about the subject... their destroying the tapes was most liklely in their best interest, by not outing the remainder of the teams in question: TOTAL SPECULATION mind you, but it makes sense...

So why even have a "if I was a member of the board this is what I would do complaint session"...
Like I said, if you got a complaint send it to the NFL...

If you feel that strongly, send it to everyone you know and have them all sign a petition to change current NFL rules... just a thought...

For the record, 5 tapes were destroyed, no one has said what team (or teams) above and beyond the Pats were on them... was it a dumb thing to do? you bet... the NFL is not a public association... it is for lack of a better comparison a "club" you and I have no right to say what they as a club do or don't do...

The only way they get anyone to step in is if they get caught breaking Federal rules... like baseball now is because of steroids...

(thread hijack now over)

Mike A!

Last edited:
The NFL has most of it's stadiums and many activities funded by us, the people through sales of tickets, taxes and a variety of other items.

But whatever, 'grats to the Giants.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back