Giant Antispyware - Better than Ad-Aware and Spybot combined ..

have you read my first post on this thread?

my job is a callout tech/in store pc repair guy.. 70% of all problems are either virus or spyware related, in the past ive always trusted adaware, Spybot, Cwshredder for my spyware scans..

i read this post on thursday night, and downloaded the demo onto my usb flashdisk..

first job on friday morning was a cleanup job... bragged too the other guys at work that this giant app was supposed too kick adawares and spybots ass... soo i installed the giant demo on the customers machine it found and cleaned 101 probs.. cool i thought:)

then i installed adaware SE, did a full system scan, it found a further 320 ish problems!!! (may have been even more if i would of updated it online)

giant just cannot cope at all, i did give it a go, and am always willing too try out tools which are supposed too be better if it will help me in my job, im not out too make giant sound bad.. its results do the talking im afraid

Johnny said:
@wadada - What program did it find that wasn't spyware ???

Cant remember Johnny it was five weeks ago i did the scan, but it where too much false positives and i dont like it a program do that .

I confirm

my dads box, giant found just cookies, adaware ie found 30 items after giant did a complete scrub

Mileage may vary - Giant has found more on my box (after using IE) than any other scanner - and what was false I set to ignore - what was questionable I set to quarantine - later to restore.
Using Firefox as my default browser, I rarely find anything with any scanner - if at all.

themafia_69 said:
screw this man, theres somthing fishy behind it, i bet they made half the spyware out there so it can remove it more than the other programs, cuz i have never heard about Giant until like 2 months ago, and no one can beat the ad-aware/spybot combination, and btw its tradition!

how do we know if he's right or not are you guys sure it's a good program???

i just did a scan with it and it detected a whole bunch of MSN Plus keys and files

screw it all it detected was msn plus and kazaa

Would it be safe to assume that since these apps are, for the most part, based on database detection - he who has the largest, up to date, database wins? I don't know much about this so i'm just theorizing - :) Please correct me.

all it detected was msn plus and kazaa
- that's all it detected in my box because that's all I had! (msn) - I deleted instead of ignore since I don't use "plus" (c2 media)

You people should be more concerned about not getting spyware.

yeah lynchknot i believe you are right about the database thing, and actually that adaware is currently the best, since it can remove things that are open even now. makes explorer close and open again, maybe none of u noticed it, doesnt happen everytime, somtimes it still needs to restart, but ad-aware se and spybot are my way of removing ad/spyware

j79zlr said:
You people should be more concerned about not getting spyware.

Firefox is good start. Adaware, Spybot, Giant have nothing to report unless I actually downloaded an app that contains spyware/adware - as far as my experience goes. Month after month I scan with all 3 apps and never find anything (with the exception of using IE - rarely use it though)

themafia_69 said:
yeah lynchknot i believe you are right about the database thing, and actually that adaware is currently the best, since it can remove things that are open even now. makes explorer close and open again, maybe none of u noticed it, doesnt happen everytime, somtimes it still needs to restart, but ad-aware se and spybot are my way of removing ad/spyware

yea i noticed it before and i agree with you, adaware is better than giant and so is spybot but i didn't have as many ads found since i started using firefox

lynchknot said:
'Tis far better to prevent cancer than to treat/cure it.

very true, and thankfully adaware and spybot can cure it:) giant cannot come close

_kC_ said:
very true, and thankfully adaware and spybot can cure it:) giant cannot come close

No offense KC but that is your experience, not mine. BTW, Giant does have real time protection as well. (preventative medicine) :)

well as you said you never have any spyware on your machine, i have at least 5 machines a day too clean... giant is kids stuff ;)

i have cleaned over 100 pc's literally (school,my pcs, friends, people on the compound) and i find that ad-aware and spybot do the job well,

_kC_ said:
well as you said you never have any spyware on your machine, i have at least 5 machines a day too clean... giant is kids stuff ;)

I used to use IE. When I do use IE, Giant finds more. So our experiences differ as yours does with the test at http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm Perhaps publish your own findings in a controlled test using the most commonly known spyware/adware. Perhaps all that are listed in these app's databases.

I am not saying any one is better and one is "kid's stuff". I do not wish to condemn another's work - unless it's a known "rogue" app. I am only stating what I see on my own machine.

No sense trying to convince me with your experience when I have my own. Besides, I have all three apps that report nothing when, strictly, using Firefox. :p (and making a, somewhat, educated decision in what I choose to download and from where)

Like I stated:
'Tis far better to prevent cancer than to treat/cure it

perris said:
chaos, these programs are a boon to most people...I love adaware and spybot.

this program looks good, but a little too aggressive for now...it seems to be getting better from the past.

I also don't like the way it insists on going into the tray...my sandbox is the only method I can find to keep it out

I think it's not worth the money over adaware or spybot

I have to agree with you. The program is far too aggressive and doesn't explain enough, IMO. I paid for Ad-Aware Plus and it's well worth the money but I absolutely refuse to pay a per-year subscription ala Webroot SpySweeper. I'm happy with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D not that I really have a huge need for them. It does make cleaning some friends' computers easier for me, though.

rotjong

It is my belief (which is better than the facts surrounding spyware and its removal purported by many I suggest) that no single programme can either detect or trap the constant threats this matter requires. Legislation in America against installing this type of software is now in motion. I guess from various reports that I have read that in order to detect even 85% of spyware (as of today) requires six different applications to be installed on your computer with the added complication that if you did this they do not interact together in a way helpful to you, and can themselves cause problems when run together and even then 15% will still get installed on you machine undetected!

What’s the answer then, I suspect there is none as since the day of the original copy protection programmes like the old DOS based C-Dilla installed as part of a genuine application now internet enabled, it’s a matter of contention if the application is spyware or not, decided by “did they tell you this or that” during the install. How can you judge a spyware programme by these criteria?

Make no mistake about it, some very large corporates are involved in this “scam” they have everything to gain, and only the odd legal case to loose. They want your profile and they will get it one way or another.

:) :) :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back