Giant Antispyware - Better than Ad-Aware and Spybot combined ..

G-Antispy removed a bit too much from my machine... couldn't start some of my proggies... it also made the login box for some ad thing on osnn everytime i loaded a page.. :s

one of the founders speaks- (scroll down a little) - interesting and very comprehensive answers http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=6498

BTW, I haven't run a scan in weeks. I ran Adaware just now

Summary Of This Scan
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
Total scanning time:00:30:18.516
Objects scanned:222370
Objects identified:0
Objects ignored:0
New critical objects:0

ya, no information what so ever.

here's the report;

Spyware Scan Details
Start Date: 11/5/2004 1:09:52 PM
End Date: 11/5/2004 1:15:06 PM
Total Time: 5 mins 14 secs

Detected Threats

Possible Browser Hijack Browser Hijacker more information...
Details: A possible spyware threat has hijacked your Internet Explorer web browser.
High threat - High risk threats typically are remotely exploitable vulnerabilities, which can lead to system compromise. Successful exploitation does not normally require any interaction. May open up communication ports, use polymorphic tactics, stealth installations, and/or anti-spy counter measures. May us a security flaw in the operating system to gain access to your computer.

Detected Spyware Cookies
No spyware cookies were found during this scan.

lynchknot said:
\

No offense - please don't take it personal but, if you have that many "problems" then perhaps you have other security issues. I never find more than a couple problems, if any at all. (using any antispyware app)

as i work at a computer repair shop, i see a LOT of problems everyday, Giant just cant cope at all... awful app

i use firefox on home system, so never had any probs;)

lynchknot said:
\I never find more than a couple problems, if any at all. (using any antispyware app)
You and me both lynchknot. I run Ad-A and S&D every Friday - just done it in fact - they find between none and half a dozen each week. :) :) :)

_kC_ said:
i use firefox on home system, so never had any probs;)
That explains it then. I use firefox too.

I had a copy of Giant and it detected adware in the old quarantine

scan3.jpg

I use Mozilla but had some sh!t on my box and only Giant found it. I have the trial but as soon as I have the extra cash I'll be purchasing it :)

Because there is possible false positives and questionable - there is the option to quarantine, delete, ignore - if it's wrong, just restore. Nothing is perfect. :)

I'm still using ie for the majority of my internet sirfing...and I go ro every dark place on the net I can find....this program found nothing....that's not new, no program ever finds anything on my box

the exploit this program claimed to find was a microsoft extension I installed

that wouldn't have been so bad if it told me what the "exploit" was...it didn't

As I've seen on many computers, those being accessed by those with little to no knowledge have a much more rapid level of system degradation.

These users are more susceptible to materials which contain or install malicious code, spyware, viruses, malware whatever you want to call it.

All these fancy programs mean nothing if the people using them don't have a clue anyways.

If even a fraction of people would receive training in even the most basic computer fundamentals the vast majority of these problems would not occur. Just like any other tool if not used properly obviously it will not function as intended.

Put your efforts towards increasing your knowledge, and stop wasting time, money and limited system resources. If you don’t have time to read a page now and then to increase your understanding, then ask yourself how many hours you’ve wasted fighting instead of working towards solving the real problem, YOU.

chaos, these programs are a boon to most people...I love adaware and spybot.

this program looks good, but a little too aggressive for now...it seems to be getting better from the past.

I also don't like the way it insists on going into the tray...my sandbox is the only method I can find to keep it out

I think it's not worth the money over adaware or spybot

my kerio firewall prevents any changes on my box without my permission...it's great...you can't even open a file yourself without first allowing explorer permission.

everyone should have this

adwatch from adaware is a sandbox of sorts, though not as efficient

I like winpatrol to control startups, etc

giant2.jpg

any thoughts on the advanced tools in Giant?

i like ad-aware the most because when i tested Giant Antispyware it found so called spyware that wasnt spyware at all , so i deleted the program, i stay with ad-aware.

I used every Spyware app on the planet. This one is the least intrusive as far as real time protection. Adaware never shuts up - it also crashes while running more than anything, Kerio is a firewall that pops up a warning when you breath on your pc, Webroot is o.k but it's not great.

This one has been working perfect for me so far. I only had it in for the past couple of days. Once I use it a while longer I will let you know more of how I like it or not. So far I like it ...

Some will like it some won't. But if you have no claim as to why you don't like it. Please don't state you don't ...

@wadada - What program did it find that wasn't spyware ???

Under system explorer giant reports this - should I be concerned?

Description: Firefox
Publisher: Mozilla
File Path: C:\Program Files\Firefox\firefox.exe

Local Connection
Host: [edited]
IP Address: 192.168.0.100 Port: xxxxx

Remote Connection
IP Address: 209.[edited] Port: 80
- I looked it up and origin: Country: SWEDEN

7:23:39 PM SYSTEM ICMP 209.[edited] Echo Request/0 ICMP Traffic

***************edit*

haha, nevermind - I see that it is just the site I am connected to . Sorry

but considering adaware and spybot find more things and are free.. why waste your money on a trashy app thats cant do its job?

_kC_ said:
but considering adaware and spybot find more things and are free.. why waste your money on a trashy app thats cant do its job?
Have you tried it to confirm your statement ??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back