Ghost or Drive Image?

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
Which is best for making backup CDs when using XP, Ghost or Drive Image?

it's just a matter of personal choice really, they both do the same thing, I use Drive Image, but Ghost is just as good.

cool.gif

Never used Drive Image but can recommend Ghost it has saved my bacon many times

Both are fine products - the user interface in Drive Image 2002 is friendlier than Ghost's. Keep in mind these two products do not make backups in the traditional sense - they image the drive(s).

I use Drive Image 6 at home and at work I use Ghost don't ask me why lol. My supplier gave them to me when I purchased 10 computers at one time and I took Drive Image home and left Ghost at work and they both work flawlessly and have saved me many times. Just pick one or the other...no real difference.
:D

Norton Ghost

Norton Ghost has a new version out, Ghost 2003. Two notable new features, a windows interface so you do not necessarily have to use DOS (unless you can't boot into windows), and support for NTFS partitions. There are other things new as well.

My personal preference is DriveImage 2002, but Norton should be good as well.

Thanks for the info. I have used Ghost successfully, but find the interface confusing. For example, I use the same floppy disc to create the image on CD, and to restore the image, although I think I am supposed to use two different floppies. I also have opted for 'Make the CD bootable' but when I boot up to it, I find that it just doesn't boot. I have the boot to cd option in the bios selected. My slipstream CD of XP, for instance, boots great.

Also when I try to restore the image, it takes me several attempts, before I manage to select the correct option. It seems I have to select the 'A' drive where the floppy is, rather than the 'D' drive where my CD is. I have read all the instructions and I still seem to get it wrong. However I have to say that when I do get it right the image is restored perfectly. I use Ghost 2002.

Hi,

Don't know that many imagers, but I do know Ghost. And I love it. With Norton Ghost you can write images directly to Tape or CD. You can split images while writing them, or you can split them at a later time, with Ghost Explorer. Ghost Explorer even allows you to add or remove files from a .GHO image.

There's a new version out... Enterprise Edition 7.5. It looks really hot!

Check out some of its features:
http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/products/products.cfm?ProductID=3

Home version (Ghost 2003):
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Kind regards,
Willem Moolenaar

ps. No, I don''t work for Symantec. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back