Ghost boot disk question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Lighter, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Lighter

Lighter . . . . . . . . .

I have three hardware models, each with their own image version, and corresponding ghost book disks for each. I need three separate disks because the NIC on each model is different.

Symantec has a surplus amount of switches for boot options, but has anyone ever tried slip-streaming a ghost boot CD, to acommodate multiple hardware models?

2. IBraineater

IBraineater Guest

nope. and i really dont recommend it either.

3. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Use RIS (Remote Installation Services). It works very well with multiple hardware models. It does an automated installation of Windows so it goes through all of the PNP stuff. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to help. RIS requires one of the flavors of 2k server or 2k3 server. It is not really hard to setup, but administering the images may prove to tax your brain. It's easy to update and does not require you to RECREATE an image for a new piece of software.

4. punkandacoke

punkandacoke eat me

what id try is telling uninstalling the nic and then make a ghost. then when you install the ghost you let windows do the work to install the nic's. if windows doesn't support the nics, oh well. i tried. tell me if it helps.

5. punkandacoke

punkandacoke eat me

and about RIS. why dont you just use automated. it requires no server setup. but ya do need a floppy. lol. you insert the windows install disk. boot. insert the floppy right after the cdrom boots. there ya go. if you wanna do that just search for automated install at microsoft's site.

:edit:
    im preatty sure it only works on windows 2k or above.

6. Lighter

Lighter . . . . . . . . .

Thanks for the info guys, I'll try this out. Luckily the platform is Win2k all around. :)