GFX small fan

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 03bigMark03, May 26, 2003.

1. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Hiya, I don't know the measurments but I know it's quiet small! I'm looking for a 2 pin fan that will screw on to the top of my graphics card heat sink. I'm overclocking my Geforce 2 MX 400 w/64MB SDRAM (adding heat sinks on to them as well but got them) w/tv out. Thanks. I am rather skint so if you got one lying around your basement that would be great, send it to me or if you know any good UK shops then please recomend them. I based in UK.

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

www.maplin.co.uk stores all over the place, and they do chipset/vga fans for under £10

3. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

stop stalking me Geffy :p

5. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Nope none of them sites have a small 40 mil or so 2 pin fan.

6. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Any small fan should work ok. Just cut the 2 pin connector (with a little wire to work with) off your old fan, cut the connector off the new fan, and attach the old connector to the new fan. You might have to get creative in mounting the fan though. I replaced one recently and epoxied the non-moving fan hub to the heatsink. Works like a charm. :)

7. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

:) but I don't have a small fan :eek: and were can i get one. I could solder the points I don't have a spare two pin connecter and I would also screw the fan onto the heat sink.

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

does your video card happen to have a fan header on it, even though it came with a passive heatsink?

if not, you'll just plug the fan into the mobo via the normal 3-pin connector on most fans.

9. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Yes the graphics card has a 2 pin fan connecter on it. Thats why I want to buy a two pin small fan.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

11. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Or grab a little pigtail connector that connects to one of the main harddrive/cdrom pigtails they sell those :)

12. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Yer I sore that but it looks a little big and just want a simple two pin fan.

13. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Sometimes it is possible to fit a little fan from a 486 onto the card it has been done many times ... Hell I fitted a coolmaster fan from an Athlon1800 onto a card one time LOLOL now I use a thermaltake G4mode cooler with the cool blue light << adds to cooling 2-3 degrees for sure huh :p

14. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Cool, but ere were can I BUY a small 40 mil or so fan. It would be nice for it to have to pins

15. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

[​IMG]

they're pretty easy to find. that's just a quick one i found, but it's in the US. find some case accessory store sites in and around england... they'll sell all different sizes of fans.

16. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

17. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

if the viddy card has the 2 mounting holes in it, the £7.99 tk 40mm graphics card fan. it has the 2 pins u want, it is a 40mm fan, no pi$$ing about mounting it to the heatsink as the thermaltake has its own heatsink built in and is designed for video cards, its not too big as you said, and perfect for the job you need it to do.

18. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

The EKL also has a built-in heatsink. Or was that what you meant? :)

19. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

It's alright guys I nicked one of an old Pentium-S machine that has a pass through PSU connecter PSU connection = ,power to fan = PSU connection. Trouble is it's gona be a hell of a job trying to fit the b*gger.

20. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

diffrent design, but the same thing really, except i cant see any 2 pin plug on that one its got a 4 pin pass through adapter.