GFX Card/Monitor Troubles

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shotgun666uk, Apr 3, 2003.

1. shotgun666uk

shotgun666uk Guest

Ive got a P4 machine with an ATI Rage 128 (32Mb) AGP card and a 19" Hyundai Imagequest G210 monitor. The display seems to be 'jumping' up and down ever so slightly and when moving from different coloured backgrounds (eg opening up an explorer page with a white background) the brightness of the screen dips.

Im running it at...

1024X768 in 32bit colour, monitor refresh 100Mhz

Ive tried altering the refresh rate of the monitor but this dosnt seem to have any effect

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

3. shotgun666uk

shotgun666uk Guest

would this still cause the display to shake about. If you look closely at it it appears to be moving up and down

4. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Sounds like some drunken electrons in there :) :rolleyes:

Seriously now: Have you checked your monitor cable?

If possible, try using a different monitor on your PC, and/or your monitor on another PC. This way you can narrow the problem down to either the monitor or the PC.

If both monitors function fine in the other PC, I would check your AC power (from the wall outlet); maybe it's a bit low or "unclean" something.

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I would guess it could. Is this a new effect or has the monitor been like this allways?

6. shotgun666uk

shotgun666uk Guest

sorry for the late reply...

Its always been like this! The only time it seems to have got 'better' is when I upped the refresh rate but its still noticable.

Power does seem a likely candidate... the building is old and there are quite a few other electrical devices in use in the same room (although nothing that uses a lot of 'juice')