Getting timed out a lot

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Blak n Wite, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Blak n Wite

Blak n Wite Guest

Summarized format:

• I am running Windows XP Home Edition
    • I am using an EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 10/100 4-Port Switch (BEFSR41 ver. 2)
    • I run many chat programs simultaneously (AIM, ICQ, mIRC, MSN etc.)

Problem: For the chat programs (well actually, any program that is connected to the net for a long time), they seem to just drop after a while (although I don't know they've lost their connection, until I attempt to make an action that requires a connection). For example, in IRC I get the following:

* [10053] Software caused connection abort

Hopefully someone has seen this quit/error message before, and knows how to fix this :) It might be because of a program that I'm running, I'm thinking.

Programs that are currently running that might be affecting this:

• Norton Systemworks 2002
    • ZoneAlarm Pro 3
    • [hardware] the router (already listed)

Thanks in advance :):)
  2. oDin

oDin xp m0nk3y

vancouver, bc
    why are you running zonealarm?...your router is your firewall!!

3. Blak n Wite

Blak n Wite Guest

Yes I know the router is a firewall, but ZoneAlarm is still used for controlling things that go in and out, instead of just filtering things that come in.
  4. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

i beleive zone alarm and nortan can be used with the router for more safety..
    the router configures them n jus more safety :D
  5. Blak n Wite

Blak n Wite Guest

Now back on topic.. anyone ever experience this same problem? Or got any ideas on how to fix it? I thought it might be something to do with WAN settings, so I disabled my router from blocking WAN ping requests, but that didn't work.

Any ideas?
  6. Angst

Angst Guest

If you are on PPoE for DSL, make sure you have your router set to keep connection alive indefinately.

Do you use Trillian?
  7. Blak n Wite

Blak n Wite Guest

Nope I'm not using PPoE, as I am using cable. And no, I don't use Trillian.
  8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

A friend of my brother had a router with "hicups". It would disconnect everything for half a second every once in a while. Enough to produce the kind of errors you talk about. I'm not sure if new firmware fixed it or if he had to replace the router.
  9. Blak n Wite

Blak n Wite Guest

I think I've fixed it; no disconnects for over 8 hours; I usually get disconnected every 3-4 hours or so :cool:

Thanks for all the help :)