Getting Linux

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Idle, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Idle

Idle Guest

can anyone help me find a to get the latest version of Linux?

I'd like to re-learn linux and more familiar with it. any info would be much appreciated.

thanks

IDLE

2. Vector_One

Vector_One Guest

You need to choose which distrobution of Linux you want first. There's more than one.

Redhat
    Mandrake
    Slackware
    SuSe
    etc.

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

www.linux.org is the place to start for all your Linux needs ;)

4. Idle

Idle Guest

free linux.

i am familiar with redhat but i am not wanting to pay for it :D

5. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

RedHat is free.

6. Petros

Petros Thief IV

7. Redhat is free to download, you only pay if you buy ready made disks.

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

By definition Linux must be free. It is required by the open source distribution liscence. What they charge for is fast download, cd's, support, etc.

Go to Redhat, Mandrake, etc websites and look for the free downloadable version. It is there. When you find it, it will give you a list of mirrors. One of those was a state university in the upper midwest (forget which one) it was the best mirror.

The distro's vary in size but figure 3 to 7 CD's. Doing the math that is gonna take a while.

I did the downlaod of both (mandarake and redhat) last spring. They both worked fine on a crappy old K6 machine. The one installed more easily (I think it was Redhat, but can't swear to that).

Do some research first to make sure the brand you pick supports all your hardware (i.e. has drivers).

9. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

I downloaded and installed Redhat 9 a couple weeks ago, it went pretty smooth. Only drawback that I have is that I dual boot with it. If possible, it's best to toy with it on a seperate machine. =/

10. Idle

Idle Guest

thanks for all your help guys. i am almost done DL'ing redhat 9. i really appreciate the info

Thanks

IDLE

11. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

yea, i like redhat 9 the best.

12. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

Yeah I got redhat v9 from amazon.co.uk was half price, cost me £20 for all the disks, p&p insurance and open source disks.

Linux one day I hope will be on more machines than mess-up-your-lives-o-croft

13. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

lycoris for learners