Getting errors installing ATI catalyst

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi All,

Trying to install these latest drivers from ATI, but at the end, I get "installed with errors" screen.

I am using Vista,

Anyone getting same errors?

Heeter

Windows Vista reported the same to me. The drivers and Catalyst Control Center both installed fine though.

Verify that the driver version is 8.351.0.0 (dated 03/02/2007).

Mine is 8.342.0.0 (2/2/2007)

The Catalyst Control Center didn't install, though.

Maybe, I should try the newer version of drivers. What would be the best way to remove the video drivers from Vista? Should I use the DriverHeaven removal tool that I used WWAAAAYYYYY back when when I had XP? (three weeks ago)

Thanks, Matt.

Helder

Just went to driverheaven, and now they want $10 for drivercleaner!!!!

Maybe I should try to install the last version I had for XP.

Heeter

The Catalyst Control Center and the Catalyst Install Manager both failed to install, but the drivers itself installed successfully.

I am assuming that it is the UAC that is keeping the rest of this stuff from installing on Vista.

Heeter

I disable UAC prior to installing anything.

I would disable UAC and also clear all cookies/temp files. Vista is very particular about the use of cookies/temp files currently with certain applications.

Once done, it should install perfectly.

If you are dl'ing Cat 7.3, PLEASE remember to disable the little ati line that appears in your services as an automatic service. It can cause a bsod when booting up (the first time) right before entering your Vista environment.

If you are dl'ing Cat 7.3, PLEASE remember to disable the little ati line that appears in your services as an automatic service. It can cause a bsod when booting up (the first time) right before entering your Vista environment.

Can I have more information on this? After installing 7.3 and rebooting I encountered a BSOD. Upon reboot after the BSOD it was fine.

Can I have more information on this? After installing 7.3 and rebooting I encountered a BSOD. Upon reboot after the BSOD it was fine.

Some random thread on R3D I believe. That's the typical reaction to installing 7.3's but definitely disable the service because it is supposed to aid stability.

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33886850

-edit-

Forgot they released a hotfix.

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=26900

Attachments

• services.jpg
    services.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Hmm. This is prior to installing 7.3. I was able to installed 7.3 and experienced the BSOD on the initial restart, not since.

I'll leave it alone. Thank you for the information.

I would apply either the hotfix or disable the service still matt, just in case.

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't had any major problems with the ATI drivers (except for trying install Vista initially), although I have only installed the drivers, not the catalyst control center! :)

Well, I don't know if it's related or not, but since the previous version of Catalyst (prior to 7.3 then), I get strange BSOD appearing once in a while and I didn't notice any particular pattern: just a totally empty BSOD... a manual reset (ctrl+alt+del doesn't work at all) is the only solution to reboot the pc.
I guess it's a driver issue because I have not a single problem under XP Pro I have on another drive, but I'm not sure.
BTW, I have an aX850 XT (AGP).

The update went fine without errors for Catalyst 7.3, but again the empty BSOD didn't appear especially because of Catalyst 7.3.

Last edited:
Some random thread on R3D I believe. That's the typical reaction to installing 7.3's but definitely disable the service because it is supposed to aid stability.

Forgot they released a hotfix.

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=26900

I had to install the hotfix this morning. I ran into problems after flashing the Bios for my motherboard. The BSOD started appearing.

I entered Safe Mode to disable the service, got back into Windows and downloaded the hotfix, installed the hotfix, and rebooted again. All is well (hopefully).

It should be well from what I gather.

Terry said that was the root cause and the hotfix addressed the same thing.

Terry == catalyst maker.

What is the "root cause" of this issue? The HF article says the cause is unknown.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back