getting around XP Admin pass

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dubstar, Aug 10, 2005.

1. dubstar

dubstar format c:

i'm trying to install a printer for my buddies computer but a pop up keeps saying "you must be apart of the administrators group" then it has "administrator" as user name, and an empty password.

is there anything i can do to get around this? he doesnt know the admin pass. he got the computer at a yard sale and the people moved so he cant go back to the house or anything to ask.

any help or is he dead in the water?

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

dubstar likes this.
  3. dubstar

dubstar format c:

bomb. questions though. i didnt see it on the FAQ and i will e-mail the guy who made the software this if there's no responce here.

will i be able to see the old password?

will i be able to change the password back to what it originally was?

will i be able to just skip putting the password in?

im asking this because now im thinking of another friend, a much cuter friend, that wants to bypass, not change, the admin pass. but this will do for now. thanks very much!

4. kcnychief

I don't know of any FREE utils, or any for that matter, that will display the old password, so no, you won't :)

Changing back to what it originally was, shouldn't be a problem. The only time you would run into problems is if there is a GPO in place to remember xx amount of passwords (password history).

Skip password in? Do you mean autologin or not have a password at all?

5. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

temporarily raise yourself to admin:

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2004/07/24/193721.aspx

Even easier. That little disk KC.... has saved countless Windows Installs (NT Offline PW reset) :)

Instructions for the tool ? Read. It's as simple as that.... and, the ENTER key is the usual default ...
    and will end up blanking the administrator account's password.

6. dubstar

dubstar format c:

mastershakes - im blocked from the blogger site from work. i'll check it out when i get home.

kcnychief - while logged in looking at the windows wallpaper/desktop, will i be able to just plug-and-play with no pass popping up? or do i need to alter the password and gain access by entering a new password?

7. kcnychief

If I understand you correctly, as long as you have sufficient user priveleges you won't be prompted to do any actions after logged in. If you are using the Administrator account, or an account with said priveleges you will have no problems.

8. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

9. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Here's the pretty little tool.

Thanks MSDN ! hehe.

Attached Files:

10. mfarley

mfarley OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

Changing the SAM password however will disallow any access to encrypted data (that was made on that account through EFS). You can easily reset the password stored via NT Password (through linux) using password hash insertion.

You cannot have the old password sent to you, all you can do is attempt to crack it with a program like SAMinside. This however can take anywhere from a few hours up to a few months depending on the complexity of the password. If there's a LM hash you're in luck ;) if not, well, good luck. :)