Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

bobsalot

Boooooooooooooooooooom
What should i get....

I can get a normal xbox360 for £199.99 new..or £149.99 preowned

Or should i get a core system...preowned for £109.99

Or get an Elite for £259.99

No thanks to the arcade version, want to play old halo thanks.

The preowned ones are not from some pikey on a street corner......theyre from Game!

please also give some reasons...dont just vote

I know elites the best....but think of this as a money kinda thing as well

If you think the elites worth the substantial amount of extra money....say why

Thank you and good afternoon

Ta very much love!!

Last edited:
What exactly justifies the larger hard drive? I'm more than content with my 20GB, if I had a PS3 with all the installing nonsense, then more space would make sense, just don't see it with the 360 though.

As for buying pre-owned, most things I'd say so, I'd be wary of 360's. There's too much to go wrong, therefore I'd stick with a new shiny off-the-shelf standard 360 :)

Yeah, but they'd give me a warranty...so if anything goes wrong.....i could get a new replacement? :)

Plus, i would just be playing games,,,no storing music and shizz....so 20gb sounds like a lot.

What other upgrades does the elite have...apart from huge hard drive.

Is the Core System bad? Its only £100ish.....not bad. maybe?

Think id prefer a premium anyway.

A bigger hard drive is useless unless you are buying HD movies. DLC packs that require that much space are few and far in between.
I'd make sure the pre-owned was certified with at least a limited warranty and make sure it's a Falcon version.

What exactly justifies the larger hard drive? I'm more than content with my 20GB, if I had a PS3 with all the installing nonsense, then more space would make sense, just don't see it with the 360 though.

As for buying pre-owned, most things I'd say so, I'd be wary of 360's. There's too much to go wrong, therefore I'd stick with a new shiny off-the-shelf standard 360 :)

The xbox in my house is used for gaming AND media. I have the option of streaming items directly from my media box or storing them directly on my HDD (which is easier).

I have a 20GB drive and I have used up about 11GB in game profiles, demo's and downloaded content. The only reason I have not used more is because I am working on setting up my PS3 as my media box and trying to use the Xbox more for gaming.

Also, it costs a hell of a lot more to upgrade the drive later. Better to buy the bigger drive to start with.

And I agree, better to buy new, with extended warranty preferably, than buying used later.

elite, larger hard disk, newer hardware version without the RROD issues (atleast I'm hoping since thats why I bough the elite), hdmi. You get a 3 year warranty by default.

Also see if you can find a gamestation (owned by game) but they sold me the same 360 elite package after rebates for returning items I didn't need for £200 +games and addons I did want :)

What kind of stuff would i have to return as rebates to get that sort of money off.

If i buy at argos i get 10% off because i work at Homebase (both owned by ARG)

any bundled games, extra bundled controllers, etc. Anything in a bundle that you don't want but they have to sell to you but can take back unopend unused and part refund after you buy it :)

@Sazar I don't know how you'd use 11 gigs on profiles really. Mine only takes up around 6MB. The things that do take up a lot of space are demos. But they are demos and shouldn't be on the box long anyway. If you watch a lot of HD media from XBL, then you should probably get the Elite, but streaming HD to the 360 doesn't require any space.

@Lord ... all newer 360s are Falcons including the non-elites Newer defined as Q4 of last year and some even earlier and those same newer 360s also all have HDMI.

Seriously though, unless you are a big media buff downloading stuff from XBL and copying them to the HD, you can probably save that extra money and put it on other things ... games, accessories. I wouldn't get a pre-owned.

@Sazar I don't know how you'd use 11 gigs on profiles really. Mine only takes up around 6MB. The things that do take up a lot of space are demos. But they are demos and shouldn't be on the box long anyway. If you watch a lot of HD media from XBL, then you should probably get the Elite, but streaming HD to the 360 doesn't require any space.

I like some of the demo's for a laugh and I've dl'd some shows.

I shouldn't need to add and remove items, it's kind of pants to do that, hence why a larger drive would be a better bet.

and when games finally start storing frequently used data (textures) on the hard disk, your puny little 20GB or memory card wont cut it. Which is I suspect why newer games don't cache textures on the hard disk...

Exactly.

If you can afford the bigger drive, get it.

In hindsight, that's what I should have done, but I wanted all the Halo goodies and Halo 3 came bundled with my console :(

Blah, my over-halo-ized thinking :(

So the new Xbox's dont have the RRoD problem?

I should be getting whichever one i get in a couple of weeks when i've saved up some money from work.
The elite is £60 more expensive, but i think it could be worth it with an extra 80gb hard drive, and no RRoD, and a 3 year warranty.

Maybe i should save a little harder :)

and when games finally start storing frequently used data (textures) on the hard disk, your puny little 20GB or memory card wont cut it. Which is I suspect why newer games don't cache textures on the hard disk...

Never going to happen on the 360. Devil May Cry 4 did it on the PS3, but didn't on the 360. No game is going to get MS certified when it shuns the majority of it's base and it's arcade version. The PS3 already landed a jab with Blu-ray winning, not making all games available to all 360 owners is suicide. I don't know of a single 360 game that doesn't work with just a memory card even.

Last edited:
Hmm, so it might be worth just getting the normal 360 and not the elite, with that extra £60 i could buy a couple of games.

it's not worth it. Until people stop being brain dead and buying high capacity disks on their xboxes the games will not cache frequently used on demand data on them and you'll continue to see texture pop-in on the big name demanding games.

it's not worth it. Until people stop being brain dead and buying high capacity disks on their xboxes the games will not cache frequently used on demand data on them and you'll continue to see texture pop-in on the big name demanding games.

Huh? :dead::dead::dead:

Here's the simple answer.

If you can afford it, get the larger storage capacity.

If you are for sure, undeniably and with absolute certainty NEVER going to be storing items on your drive, such as media, mutliple demo's and the like, get the smaller drive.

Demo's can range upto close to 2GB for 1, though they are typically 600-800MB.

Downloaded movies are between a few hundred MB's and 2.4GB (or more) for the high-def content.

Do the math.

Just because someone is claiming there is no need doesn't mean you have to cripple your capabilities and expandability.

As I said, my only regret is not getting the larger HDD version of the system. I probably would not be close to using it all up, but I would have more than 20 GB worth of stuff on my system for sure.

I'll wait and see how much money i can save up in 8 -9 weeks.

As per this moment, i dont have a HD tv yet, hopefully this should change too.

AND, the elites black......mmmmmmmmmmm....nice.

TA"!"!"!

edit::: right. i can get the Elite with the MadCatz Mega Pack (steering wheel, wired controller, faceplate..ect)
and Project Gotham Racing 4 for £280.

Might go for that.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back