Geforce2 GTS or Geforce4 MMX 440

a1ehouse

Chamone M*tha Fu*ka
I have just upgraded my PC, and am wondering whether to use my old graphics card - a Geforce2 GTS (4xAGP/32MB RAM); or use my new Geforce4 MMX 440 (8xAGP/128MB RAM). I know my new one sounds better on paper, but my Geforce2 cost me a fair whack a year or two ago, and was top of the range at the time. I just wanted to know your opinions, or if any of you had a similar choice to make?

I had a geforce 2 gts in my old PC. When I got my new one I had a geforce 4 mmx 440 (4xagp/64mb ram). I did benchmarks with both cards in my new pc and found no diferance. I upgraded the card to a geforce 4 ti 4600 and woosh much better. You may find it deferant with the 8xagp one with 128 ram but probibly not by much. You never know though.

the GTS was good in its day, the mx440 can still hold its own in most games now. although that will be dated in a years time.
I would stay with the new gf4 card as it has dx8 hardware support, the gf2 has dx7 hardware support. the large memory on the gf4 is better for large desktops and high res gaming. all cards are expensive when there new. gf4 mx440's are now £30 on dabs.com it's expensive keeping up to date....

Originally posted by GoNz0
I would stay with the new gf4 card as it has dx8 hardware support, the gf2 has dx7 hardware support.
actually, the gf4mx's are dx7 just like the gf2's.

i would say the mx440. it's gotta be at least a tad faster than the gf2 and will gain a real lead if you turn on AA or AF.

Originally posted by a1ehouse
I have just upgraded my PC, and am wondering whether to use my old graphics card - a Geforce2 GTS (4xAGP/32MB RAM); or use my new Geforce4 MMX 440 (8xAGP/128MB RAM). I know my new one sounds better on paper, but my Geforce2 cost me a fair whack a year or two ago, and was top of the range at the time. I just wanted to know your opinions, or if any of you had a similar choice to make?
If you have some money to burn why not just go and get a new card? You'll feel much better later on, trust me. You dont have to get the latest and greatest but there are cards out now from ATI and Nvidia that are easy on the wallet and perform much better that the two you have now. :)

Save a little extra money and go for a GF4 Ti4200.

JJB

Originally posted by doom
I had a geforce 2 gts in my old PC. When I got my new one I had a geforce 4 mmx 440 (4xagp/64mb ram). I did benchmarks with both cards in my new pc and found no diferance. I upgraded the card to a geforce 4 ti 4600 and woosh much better. You may find it deferant with the 8xagp one with 128 ram but probibly not by much. You never know though.

thats coz for all intents and purposes they are the EXACT SAME CARD... :)

nvidia just repackaged them and sold them with the gf4 moniker... much like ati's lowest end cards that have the 9000 designation...

the mx should run a touch faster due to higher clock speeds and more efficient architecture... but the overall difference is not going to be that much tbh...

there are some really good deals to be had around the $120-140 mark... the gf4ti 4200 or the radeon 9600pro are both excellent bets... the 9600pro would be my card of choice due to its performance/money ratio... and it is dx9 capable...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back