Geforce Fan Speed Control

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi All

My Ati 9800 died the other week so I have now got myself a BFG 6800 GS which i am really happy with. The only thing is the fan noise :( being used to the sound of the artic cooler this card is really noisy. I have tried riva tuner and its pretty good as i can clock the fan down to 25% without much problems (this is only for 2D).

Is there any other programs?? done a bit of googling but not found anything just want an easy systray app really where i can clock my fan down? or even better a temperature scaled one??

Cheers :)

Rivatuner is the only one that I know of, but have you considered buying an aftermarket cooler for it? The NV silencer is a great solution to use.

indyjones said:
Hi All

My Ati 9800 died the other week so I have now got myself a BFG 6800 GS which i am really happy with. The only thing is the fan noise :( being used to the sound of the artic cooler this card is really noisy. I have tried riva tuner and its pretty good as i can clock the fan down to 25% without much problems (this is only for 2D).

Is there any other programs?? done a bit of googling but not found anything just want an easy systray app really where i can clock my fan down? or even better a temperature scaled one??

Cheers :)

LMAO!!!!!!

are all ATI's starting to die? My All in Wonder 9600XT died. I'm considering a XFX GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / Dual DVI / TV Out / Video Card.

Linky

Michael -
The 5 9800/9600's I know of in heavy use are all still going fine. You guys must just have gotten lucky.

Indy -
I'll look around and check with a buddy of mine. His 6600GT from XFX has a feature to cut the GPU clock in half and drop the fan speed way down when operating in 2D mode which makes it dead quiet. When he starts a 3D app. (a game) it goes to high speed clock but then the noise of the explosions drowns out the fan so it doesn't matter.

Check some other forceware driver versions too.

Ok, Speedfan does not support the 6800 GS as of 2-10-06 but they are working on adding support. Check them periodically to see if the 6800 GS has been added.

Last edited:
LeeJend said:
Michael -
The 5 9800/9600's I know of in heavy use are all still going fine. You guys must just have gotten lucky.

Lucky? I would rather have spent the money on an X-FI Platinum.

Cheers LeeJend I will keep checking speed fan heard it was good but it just confused me :)

I have currently set up some profiles in rivatuner and they seem to work ok see attachment.

Michael -
ATI cards so far.......
My 9800 dead
now mates cards:
1 x 9800
2 x 9800 pro
1 x 9800XT :S

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 144
For sport. Put them all in a box and send them to ATI for repair.

I haven't seen that many failures since the Ge4 GPU with it's inadequate cooling issues.

Admiral Michael said:
Those are all dead?

Yeah but only one card is mine which i doubt is covered by any garentee as I have had it 2 1/2 - 3 years.

Its a real shame i liked ati but i still have a gefore 256 (the first ever!) running strong so maybe ati pushed those 350/360 cores too far?

Still we drift off topic :) I am sure not all ati cards are bad :)

ATI has a standard 3 year warantee. ATI keeps records by serial number on their website.

WTF get an RMA and send them in. Get them back and sell them for $50-60 each or keep them as spares for emergencies.

BUt I have to pay to send it in. And besides my fan died so I used a Artic Cooling as a replacement. I doubt they will take it.

I got my new card! XFX GeForce 6600 256MB, Dual DVI, TV Out :)

LeeJend said:
His 6600GT from XFX has a feature to cut the GPU clock in half and drop the fan speed way down when operating in 2D mode which makes it dead quiet. When he starts a 3D app. (a game) it goes to high speed clock but then the noise of the explosions drowns out the fan so it doesn't matter.

I can't seem to find such a setting. Does he have the AGP or PCI-E version, I have the AGP version.

I think the fan is supposed to speed up automatically when you start playing a 3D game then slows back down when you are not.

Yes, what Zombie said. It is built in. If you check the clock speed when in 2D mode it will show half normal.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back