Geforce 6 now or wait for Geforce 7?

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
I'm not sure whether to get a Geforce 6 6800GT card in the next few weeks, or whether to wait a while and get a Geforce 7 card or some sort when (if) there is a full range released with AGP support. The official site reckons that the 7 series doesn't actually supercede the 6 series itself, but the new Geforce 7 7800GTX card should essentially be seen as the new top of the line model of the 6 series. They've not confirmed any new models for 7 yet, or even AGP support, and reckon that they will be sticking with 6 for the next year.
Personally, I think that it's a bit of a bluff to get people to continue buying Geforce 6 cards while the manufacturers have plenty of stock/parts left. In a few months I wouldn't be surprised if a whole range of Geforce 7 cards come out, totally replacing the Geforce 6. Though I'm never sure with NVIDIA. And I want a new graphics card ASAP as my old 4x AGP GeForce 4 Ti4200 card is getting on a bit in its old age.

Well, I think GF7 is out already from what I've seen in some places. BUT not sure whether power consumption of upto 254W under load (143W idle) will put you off or not as opposed to 136W (64/74W idle) on GF6 (that's what I've read on reviews).

I think what the poster was wondering is if there will be an AGP version of the new 7 cards. As of yet I have not seen or read that there will be.

From what I understand the 7 series is PCI-E Exclusivley for the forseable future (IE untilthey clear stocks of the 6 series which is superseded by the 7 series). I was also under the impression the 7 series was refined to use less power than the 6 series while performing better.

From what I hear the 7800GTX is a beast, i was reading GI and it mentioned the 7800GTX is somewhere near 2 times as powerful as the 6 series stuff but is at this time PCIe only and around $600. so yeah

Yeah I'm waiting for a full line-up of Geforce7 cards to come out, some of which will hopefully be in AGP. I'm just not sure if and when this is going to happen. The 7800GTX is indeed a beast, it kinda reminds me of all the fuss that there was when the Geforce 2 Ultra came out for about £400 all those years ago.

The best option is either get the GF7 or wait for the next round of cards in the next couple of months from ATi and nvidia's answer to that product.

The costs for the GF7 are dropping and it is not much more than a GF6.

Performance is good and power consumption is actually less than a GF6 :D

A good card all round. Certainly a good option.

Yeah good call, I'll wait. I've never had an ATiI card, I've always loved NVIDIA but maybe it will be a good time to try one. I'm fairly clueless about them though, I don't know my X9800 from my Radeons :)

I have spent so much money on GF7800 here in Seattle that my bank blocked my card afterwards. hehehe.

I thought you were waiting for the new CMstaker before you built your new computer

Yup, but I think I will be able to live with the 810 or was it 820 that is out very soon.
I also have the option of buying a cheap case for now, I haven't decided, the fact is I need a system for vista so things have had to be accelerated.

uh huh. whatever helps you sleep at night :p

Gets worse, Longhorn beta 1 is now out tomorrow so have made more changes, did some reading and have ordered the original stacker case and an fx57.

Should get me going.

il get the 7800, in my pc maybe two, that will be truely amazing

From what I have seen there is a HUGE price difference between the 6 and 7 series cards...

I paid just over 320 with shipping for my BFG 6800GT...

:)

ray_gillespie said:
I'm not sure whether to get a Geforce 6 6800GT card in the next few weeks, or whether to wait a while and get a Geforce 7 card or some sort when (if) there is a full range released with AGP support. The official site reckons that the 7 series doesn't actually supercede the 6 series itself, but the new Geforce 7 7800GTX card should essentially be seen as the new top of the line model of the 6 series. They've not confirmed any new models for 7 yet, or even AGP support, and reckon that they will be sticking with 6 for the next year.
Personally, I think that it's a bit of a bluff to get people to continue buying Geforce 6 cards while the manufacturers have plenty of stock/parts left. In a few months I wouldn't be surprised if a whole range of Geforce 7 cards come out, totally replacing the Geforce 6. Though I'm never sure with NVIDIA. And I want a new graphics card ASAP as my old 4x AGP GeForce 4 Ti4200 card is getting on a bit in its old age.

i do not think there will be a 7800 available in AGP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back