gas going up 25 cents a gallon in states.

Gas prices in Quebec out do your prices anywhere in the US .. best part is we export to you people but yet pay more LOLOL , people need to understand that the planet is being destroyed walk ride a bike, buy a small car, help save the earth.

RickyC said:
The main point of complaint is the gas guzzlers most Americans seem to drive. In Europe most cars are between 1 and 2 litre some a bit more. These cars are doing upto 50mpg in some cases. If distance is the main concern, buy a car that is economical, YOU WILL save money in the long term and help save the environment!

Yea but those tiny Peugeots, Novas, and whatnot are not avaliable at American dealerships - that's not what they're selling to us. An absolutely 'normal' non-city American residing somewhere in the mid-west does not have any access to such cars. I know that may be a weak argument, though. However despite it being more in the longer run, not everyone has enough money to plop down right away on a hybrid electric which gets 40MPG if not more.

Son Goku has an excellent point - I live in NYC, where you can get anywhere without ever having touched a set of car keys. Yet drive 4-5, heck, 2, hours out of the city, and pooof, no public transport. No subway/metro, no bus, no car service. Bike, you tell me? Why of course, I'll bike 25 miles to and from work daily. Please. In some places 3-4 cars per family are normal, not because we're extravagant and wasteful, but rather because we need to have them. This does not apply to the folk who drive Nissan Armadas and Hummer H2s whilst living in a city, I dislike those people. If anyone asks - I have a 2005 Buick with a 3.8L V6, 20/29MPG.

RickyC said:
The main point of complaint is the gas guzzlers most Americans seem to drive. In Europe most cars are between 1 and 2 litre some a bit more. These cars are doing upto 50mpg in some cases. If distance is the main concern, buy a car that is economical, YOU WILL save money in the long term and help save the environment!

The main point here, has to do with stereo-typical statements being put forth as fact, as a means to essentially tell those who are mentioning gas prices to "shut up and deal with it"; when such statements are presented in a manner that comes off rather ill informed.

I'm not sure if anyone in truth knows what anyone else on this board is driving; but then certain assumptions about mini-vans, Hummers, and the like, for no other reason then "typical American, etc, etc". It's a stereotype, and not reality for many people...

BTW, I have a 96 Mercury Mystique right now, though tbh I could use something with a bit more pep... My last car was a 6 cylander... Hardly a 5 mile to the gallon car. And still the amount I have to pay in gasoline right now is a bit too much for a student still in college.

Others, they can speak for themself. But in my mind, a "complaint" is worthless when the entire presentation seems based around stereotypes and an ill informed argument, which argues things as fact (such as a supposed national speed limit) when no such thing exists...

Like i mentioned before my bud had to pay $60 to fill his tank up the other day. He really can't afford that on a $200 pay check every 2 weeks.

My mom says she doesn't even look at the prices because why bitch about it when you know you have to get the gas. As i read thru some posts it will take awhile before people move to hybrid cars and all that jumbo.

As much as I hate to agree with foreigners (or anyone else for that matter) over sized gas guzzling SUVs (S ***ty Useless Vulagarities) are a significant factor in creating a shortage of Sweet Light Crude oil which is what is driving up gasoline prices.

For anyone who thinks this is all new take a look at the headlines from the 1970's. After you do remember Lee Iacocco's quote on his new, decently sized, fuel efficient Chrysler K car of the time:

"If eveyone drove a Chrysler K series car the USA would not need to import any crude oil."

We are paying the price levied on us by the miserable SOB who figured out he could scam the federal fuel efficiency laws by using a truck chassis to make a station wagon with load lifter shocks that he called an SUV. May he and every member of Congress who let him get away with it burn in Hell for all eternity. It was a crime against humanity, the environment, and every unborn child who will suffer the reduced standard of living and enviornmental health hazards of this wanton waste.

Sermon over, except:

He who fails to study the past is condemned to repeat it. If you think your pissed off now wait for the 2 hour wait gasoline lines and the 2006 recession. They are coming (again).

I agree 100%, I like to look at ppl driving SUVs at gas pumps and I just say thanks, and if they ask why I say they are the reason I am paying so much. I still cant believe people are still buying SUVs and complaining.

Zeke if it makes you feel better my boss was bitching about his weekly $60 SUV gas bill and I gave him a bronk cheer and told him to buy a Hyundai. (We've had the SUV vs car discussion before...)

Well, the argument concerning "global warming" is another, and not one where the evidence clearly states "x is happening". Actually, the weather satilites showed a slight, but insignificant cooling trend accross global temperatures. Unfortunately I leant some of those journals I had received in the mail sometime back, and haven't received them back again... That is another topic though...

Looking at some suggestions though (and some people did do a better job of presenting their positions, then a carte blanche over-generalization); it seems that some have got the impression that every American (or perhaps just most) drive Hummers...

Lets put this in some perspective... After going for dinner tonight, I payed closer attention to the vehicles on the road then normal; largely because of the discussion. Keep in mind that this year for instance, I might have seen at most 5 hummers on the road around here, hardly the average American vehicle...

Anyhow, parked next to me for instance, in the lot when I left there were only 2 SUVs and 8 cars beside my own. That's a total of 2 SUVs to 9 cars... Otherwise, there really wasn't anything in the lot, being late at night...

Driving past (on the road), almost every vehicle was a car... Sometimes, the generalization doesn't fit the overall reality, which people percieve on a day to day basis. Yes there are some hummers (and actually jeeps are more common here in Albuq then SUVs), but it isn't anything like America's favorite and most popular vehicle...

Actually, in terms of pollution, dump trucks can be about the worst. One hasn't lived until they've had to ride behind a dump truck, bellowing out thick black smoke, which gets pulled in by one's air vents :eek:

BTW, a poll on just what people do drive here, might be interesting...

Electronic Punk said:
Yeah, I have to put £40 a month in mine (diesel) which is actually a damn good price!

Oh, to have a diesel engine! I think I'm going to look for that in my next car. Maybe a diesel version of my 88 VW Fox...err, not that again. I'm still 1.88 meters
:nervous:

zeke_mo said:
I agree 100%, I like to look at ppl driving SUVs at gas pumps and I just say thanks, and if they ask why I say they are the reason I am paying so much. I still cant believe people are still buying SUVs and complaining.
Agreed. I still can't believe I see comercials that BRAG about these monsterous SUV (or "new-age" SUV's). They show off all these seats and stuff (which I guess could be usefull if you have 100 kids or something) but why does the whole vehicle have to be HUGE? I remember when if you wanted to have people space you bought a station wagon. :p Why is it people need a vehicle, that is sure to kill anyone or anything they crash into because it's so huge, just to have more seating space? </rant>

Forgive me if I'm missing something Son, you said this:-

"and some people did do a better job of presenting their positions, than a carte blanche over-generalization", it seems that some have got the impression that every American (or perhaps just most) drive Hummers...

and this... "My last car was a 6 cylinder... Hardly a 5 mile to the gallon car".

I'm not over-generalizing and I'm not making sterotypical statements for the hell of it.

STOP whining, this isn't a sterotype, Americans DO drive oversized, gas guzzling vehicles, FACT. Jeez, you even have a so called 'Driving season'.
this is when ALL fuel prices rise around the planet go up just to accomodate it.

Ezergeezer said:
Jeez, you even have a so called 'Driving season'.
this is when ALL fuel prices rise around the planet go up just to accomodate it.
Well the "Driving Season" would be summer, as thats when most people go on vacation. ;) I'm sure it's like that most places, we just do it in larger vehicles. :(

Ezergeezer said:

"and some people did do a better job of presenting their positions, than a carte blanche over-generalization", it seems that some have got the impression that every American (or perhaps just most) drive Hummers...

and this... "My last car was a 6 cylinder... Hardly a 5 mile to the gallon car".

I'm not over-generalizing and I'm not making sterotypical statements for the hell of it.

Sigh, the life of selective quotes. You are over generalizing, and your statements are quite stereo-typical.... Hell you didn't even know that there is no national speed limit in ths country, which (along with the other statements I replied to in your first post) wasn't exactly well informed...

Perhaps, just perhaps, instead of assuming what participants in this thread are driving, and use your assumptions as a means to tell people to essentially shut up and "stop whinning" as it's being called, you might have asked?

For just that purpose I created a poll to see what people are driving. And guess what, out of the respondents thus far, SUV and Hummer is not the most prolific mention

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=78701

STOP whining, this isn't a sterotype,

I didn't see the word Mod written anywhere under your name. And I didn't see anyone make you forum God, or appoint you with the power to tell everyone here to stop discussing a matter they should chose... If you don't want to hear what people are saying, you don't have to read it. But honestly; the way you're comming off, I find a tad offensive...

Americans DO drive oversized, gas guzzling vehicles, FACT.

No, that's your opinion... And though everyone is entitled to an opinion (even if it is based upon over generalizations), I really do feel you had crossed the line telling everyone in this thread who should mention gas prices to "stop whinning" and to shut up as such...

Last edited:
Ezergeezer said:

STOP whining, this isn't a sterotype, Americans DO drive oversized, gas guzzling vehicles, FACT. Jeez, you even have a so called 'Driving season'.
True that many Americans can do without the big obnoxious vehicles...BUT...the "driving season" you are harping on comes from the fact that the "non driving season" is also called "winter" in most places wherein most Amusement Parks, beaches, State Parks are also closed or pretty much useless. Of course we drive more in the spring/summer...because we drive so much less in the winter. Are we supposed to stay homebound and not go anywhere?

I love a good 'whined up'.

And by the way, would anyone like extra cream in their scone!

Toodle pip, old beans and chocks away.

Geezer.

Holy ****!! I drive a four cylinder mazda protege. I get 28 miles to the gallon, and I am an American. I am seriously considering getting a Civic Hybrid so I can get 52 miles to the gallon and a $2000 tax break. Not to mention it doesn put that much of a strain on the environment because it is an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle. Know what you are talking about before you go spewing your anti-american rubbish. I do agree, there are many many many of us that are using vehicles that are much larger than we need. But there are also those of us that are responsible.

the mercedes smart car.
looks like ****, but gets between 60 and 100 MPG

if thats fact, i dont know..
a friend of mine has one and said the true mileage comes after the car has been worked in.

tbh, when I got the vehicle I have now and they did the emissions test on the thing...the emissions were so low (don't have the sheet anymore) that some numbers were just barely over no measurement at all...

It was so far below the limits established for CO and other such emissions it barely registered on the gauge. It isn't a hybrid, but that is still low emissions...

TittleBitties said:
My mom says she doesn't even look at the prices because why bitch about it when you know you have to get the gas.

exactly. so instead of topping up the grocery bags, you trim down a bit to make sure the tank is full. can you say economic impact = bad?

jimi_81 said:
exactly. so instead of topping up the grocery bags, you trim down a bit to make sure the tank is full. can you say economic impact = bad?

Yeah...my mom goes to save-a-lot which has way cheaper prices for food and well it isnt name brand all the time but you really can't tell a difference plus she usually catches the deals at meijers and all that. Luckly my mom has a vehicle thats good on gas otherwise she would be paying alot more then she does. She spends 9 hours a week driving to and from work :dead:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back