gas going up 25 cents a gallon in states.

Maveric169 said:
No offense Tittle, but that is the thinking that keeps us paying these exorbant fuel prices year after year. the supply/demand hasn't really changed, OPEC keeps raising prices every year, when we the public start refusing to pay for their 2nd and 3rd $100,000,000 yachts, the price magicly drops, then goes back up a few cents at a time looking for the highest price per gallon that we chumps will pay. And it is not just OPEC, you can thank your local government, state government, and federal government as well. Over $.45 per gallon is taxes tacked on by these 3 entities.

So the actual cost of fuel per gallon we should be paying is about $1.25-$1.50 per gallon, and the actual to market price is arround $1.10.

But you won't ever see those prices because people are far too willing to laydown and pay anything OPEC wants. Wait till 2007 when is $4.25 per gallon. Seriously!

If anything, demand for oil is going up every year while the supply keep on dwindling down. Even if demand is not going up (and it is), oil as you know is a non-renewable resource so techically the price should go up every year until we run out.

Grandmaster said:
If anything, demand for oil is going up every year while the supply keep on dwindling down. Even if demand is not going up (and it is), oil as you know is a non-renewable resource so techically the price should go up every year until we run out.
Yeah as more and more people have been going SUV (among other gas guzzlers) here in the US, and more and more people begin driving each year it was inevitible that prices would someday be driven thru the room do to demand. Those driving GIANT (well something they call driving as most of them can't drive them at all) SUV things have themselves to blame for gas prices in the end. If nothing else they significantly shortend the timeline for driving up the price of gas due to demand. </rant>

Thats right and the pollution caused by all this is just unreal they need to keep pumping up the prices as much as they can this will force the abusers to drive smaller more enviroment freindly cars and also force the factory's that are still refuseing to upgrade their systems to use different sources of energy to make those changes faster, I for one hope they force price hikes as say 10% a year until people finally understand that all this waste and abuse needs to stop.

Truck = 406 = 8MPG
Car = 3.1L = 32-36MPG

Needless to say I drive the car and laugh at the SUV'ers.

lol...how many trucks have 406's?

I am fine with my blazer giving me 19mpg...its a 4.3 liter and it does me good well actually i havent drove it besides from where i bought it but either way it will do me good lol.

I dont think you will get 19mpg with that I think it will be a lot loss than that wait till you start to drive in traffic and get stuck for hours and hours ( added up over the weeks ) you will see.

Not alot of traffic driving here in muskegon except by the mall. Its roughly 19mph but its not that bad for it being 4 wheel drive. Think most of my gas going towards all the two tracking and mud running lol.

Personally, I find the comparison of gas prices between the US and the UK to be unfair. There are some basic differences in the countries:

- Overall size of the country, and how far people can have to travel.

In the city it is less so, but for people who live out in the country... Where my parents live it's like 60 miles to get to a mall (and a small one at that). It's 15 miles to the closest grocery store... And they're on the edge of a town with a population of 5,000. Further away, the town center is like 3 houses and 1 store...

Albuq is a fairly decent sized city here...but over the whole state of New Mexico, the average distance between 2 houses is 3/4 of a mile last I heard...

- People up where my parents live, it's not unheard of for some of them to have to drive 30,000 miles per year or more... I knew someone who got about 100,000 miles in 2 years and most of her driving was work related. It isn't that she had a high paying job, but rather she had to find odd and end jobs where she could. The ecconomy up there, could be better...

- Public transportation in a lot of the US is from non-existent (out in the country, forget it for instance), to at least here in Albuquerque, pathetic. It's basically designed to get people to/from work. Otherwise, forget it; having to depend upon it is the pitts.

From what I've heard, Europe has better public transportation then what we do. I grew up in New Jersey, and know that New York has better public transit also...

- Gas prices effect more then just drivers, but can also effect the trucking and shipping industries, along with air lines (well jet fuel) and the like. The effects go much farther.

There are things that could be done, and perhaps if things get out of hand enough coal to oil conversion (among other things) might be feasible. There would be a cost in building the facilities. America has enough coal to be the Saudi Arabia of coal to the world...

If a comparison between US and UK prices is fair game for discussion, then perhaps a price between US and Saudi Arabia gas prices would be fair game also :D All 3 are different markets however, and the general conditions surrounding this are different in each of the 3, above mentioned countries...

Gas prices did go down a bit, a few weeks back (about 15 cents a gallon), but have since gone up higher then they were... One thing I will say speaking for myself. This wouldn't do something about base prices, but as to state taxes...

In New Mexico, there are a lot of Indian reservations... Indian reservations are considered federal territory and not under the state's jurisdiction in terms of taxes and other such matters. As these prices keep going up, I'm becomming more tempted to find the nearest reservation to where I live, and start buying my gasoline there, where it's totally non-taxable, and the portion the state adds to the gas price would be removed...

I usally drive 40-50K a year between work and going places.

Son Goku said:
In New Mexico, there are a lot of Indian reservations... Indian reservations are considered federal territory and not under the state's jurisdiction in terms of taxes and other such matters. As these prices keep going up, I'm becomming more tempted to find the nearest reservation to where I live, and start buying my gasoline there, where it's totally non-taxable, and the portion the state adds to the gas price would be removed...
I'll be anything that will change soon as it did for cigarette sales on reservations in Arizona.

It's sad, the indians who reside on reservations relie soley on the income from cigarette sales, selling their hand made merchandise, and gaming ... now the govt wants to step in, charge federal taxes on certain items ... why would I travel further, to a reservation, if there's no savings?

I'm work on a military installation, where theoretically there should be no tax on gasoline as well, but it's only 2-3 cents cheaper than the places downtown. I imagine gas station managers are just as profit driven on reservations as they are here, and will offer minimum savings for maximum profit.

When are you mugs gonna stop whinging about fuel prices, when majority
of you people driving round in 4,5,6 litre [yes, Litre not Liter] or should I say
350 cubic inches of gas guzzling, ozone munching vehicle.

Whats the point of having a vehicle that size when national speed limit is 55mph!

Don't whinge, get a bloody smaller car then. When was the last time you saw
a yank on a bicycle, 'like never'! I've seen people drive 50 yards down the road to the mall and back, just for a pack of ciggy's. Nobody walks either!

Just my 2 cents, pfff

Sigh... I get about as tired of some people not liking what we have to say about the gasoline price hikes, as they perhaps are about us mentioning it; definitely when it's presented in certain ways. If I don't like it, I will mention it though :D ;)

BTW, their is no national speed limit of 55 mph. The United States doesn't have a national speed limit... Each state has the right to establish it's own speed limit, driving age, and other such things, and this does very as each state decides it's own laws independently. Here in New Mexico, the speed limit is 75 mph, not 55... Furthermore, a state like Montana (when I was last there at least) only had a night time and truck speed limit of 65 mph. For others, during the day, it at least used to be "whatever is reasonable and proper", aka no speed limit...

Furthermore, tbh, not everyone goes the speed limit. In places where it's 55 (route 78 in New Jersey), anyone attempting to go the speed limit would get mowed over... I have family members who are cops in the state of New Jersey who say that 55 mph is totally unenforceable there, and they won't even try. It's just too dangerious for someone to try to go the speed limit there. If one goes over 65 however, they'll enforce it...

It's not unheard of for people to go 80 or 85 mph in the 75 zone, etc...

And though some peeps do have Hummers, not everyone does. I'm sorry, but the above rant/flame? does seem to be a tad ill informed...

Ezergeezer said:
When are you mugs gonna stop whinging about fuel prices, when majority
of you people driving round in 4,5,6 litre [yes, Litre not Liter] or should I say
350 cubic inches of gas guzzling, ozone munching vehicle.

Whats the point of having a vehicle that size when national speed limit is 55mph!

Don't whinge, get a bloody smaller car then. When was the last time you saw
a yank on a bicycle, 'like never'! I've seen people drive 50 yards down the road to the mall and back, just for a pack of ciggy's. Nobody walks either!

Just my 2 cents, pfff

Will the British start brushing their teeth, stop having tea and scones ten times a day, and quit saying "jolly good" about everything? Wait...those are just stereotypes that don't represent actual British lifestyles...

Complaining about gas prices is legitimate; I remember a time WAAAY back in history (1995) when it cost $14 to fill my eleven gallon tank; now I'm lucky if I don't top $28. I yearn for the public transportation I got to use in Seoul (the only major city in the world I've spent much time in). Too bad my town is too small.

Can anyone think of a lot of other common consumer products that have gone up 200% or more in the last ten years in the U.S.? Not milk, not lightbulbs, nothing.

Last edited:
Jewelzz said:
I'll be anything that will change soon as it did for cigarette sales on reservations in Arizona.

It's sad, the indians who reside on reservations relie soley on the income from cigarette sales, selling their hand made merchandise, and gaming ... now the govt wants to step in, charge federal taxes on certain items ... why would I travel further, to a reservation, if there's no savings?

It's unfortunate indeed. My parents sponsored a Navajoo Indian "girl" back when I was also a kid. Naturally, she's grown up now as well... Anyhow, when I moved out here in 1997, the college dorm wasn't ready at first, and of course staying in a hotel room for about 2 weeks would be a bit expensive. I had student orientation on the 6th of August, and the dorm wasn't ready until the 19th, or 20th...

I had stayed with them on the reservation. Andrea's mother was busting her butt like 14-15 hours a day, and they were anything but well off. Her house was about a 2 bedroom house, with concrete floors, very small...and their just wasn't enough room. When growing up, the kids slept with their parents, as there was no where else for them to sleep.

Other houses were built, as the children grew up; and except for Gordon who was on the tribal police force in Arizona (who did have a fair sized house in comparison, with a satalite dish, etc); they pretty much had to spread things out. AKA one house had the washer and drier, and the entire extended family had to share it. Another house had the telephone, same thing, etc

tbh, if I had to put the money out, I'd rather put it out there...where it's needed. What can be worse, is when for instance my father went to buy some pottery when we were vacationing out here in 91. He went to pay with a traveller's check. The guy looked quite hesitant.

He then explained that the last time he received payment with one of those, the people at the bank started demanding "Where did you get that from? Did you steal it? One of your kind couldn't have gotten that honestly..."

My father ended up giving him his name and number and told him if it happens again, to give him a call. We'd take care of it...

The main point of complaint is the gas guzzlers most Americans seem to drive. In Europe most cars are between 1 and 2 litre some a bit more. These cars are doing upto 50mpg in some cases. If distance is the main concern, buy a car that is economical, YOU WILL save money in the long term and help save the environment!

RickyC said:
The main point of complaint is the gas guzzlers most Americans seem to drive. In Europe most cars are between 1 and 2 litre some a bit more. These cars are doing upto 50mpg in some cases. If distance is the main concern, buy a car that is economical, YOU WILL save money in the long term and help save the environment!

Tophole and spiffing with lashings of ginger beer.

Nice one Ricky.

The Geezer.

I get tired of all these people comparing UK and USA gas prices. If you took the TAX off the price at the pump... the USA prices are far higher than anywhere else in the world. I'd gladly pay UK prices if I could benefit the tax gains people pay for free medical etc...

Pre Tax UK prices are still above that of the US, although our petrol is 95 octane, I believe that in the US it is lower and so a bit chaper to refine. Well that's ths gist I get anyway.

Oh I get 40mpg out of my really tiny engined 2.0 litre ST focus! :D

Dusty said:
gladly pay UK prices if I could benefit the tax gains people pay for free medical etc...
It's not technically free, except to those who live on the dole, as we have National Insurance deduced from our take home pay to help pay for the NHS, the state pension etc.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back