Game that uses the Dx9 Technology.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Nedreplan, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Nedreplan

Nedreplan Guest

What game, or games, is out that fully uses the Dx9 technology?

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

what do you mean fully dx9 ?

there is unlikely to be any game this year... or perhaps most of next year (if that soon) that is completely dx9 :)

unlikely till perhaps around the time longhorn debuts...

longhorn will likely demand a dx9 level gfx card to run the os...

3. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

4. deepzurge

deepzurge Guest

5. WAM

WAM Guest

Midnight Club 2 is the first game i have that installed dx9 drivers to play it................

6. Sazar

if gunmetal is a dx9 game.... it has to be the worlds worst implementation of dx9 :D

fyi.. gunmetal is an xbox game port... xbox !=dx9...

for the most part... read practically EVERYWHERE... gunmetal uses ps1.1... NOT ps2.0 which is dx9 :)

I can imagine certain sections of the sky being ps2.0... can't really see anything else which might be dx9 in that game...

and WAM... midnight club == same as above :)

an xbox port...

installing dx9 != game is dx9 :)

heck we all had to install dx8/8.1 for many games which were not even dx8 :)

7. deepzurge

deepzurge Guest

Basically, I said if he wanted to see some DX9 features to try the Gun Metal demo out... not "DX9 installed does not equal game is DX9". That was the only game that came to mind. Gun Metal isnt the best game in the world (and doesnt take advantage of Pixel Shader 2), but still looks cool. :D

8. Sazar

that last comment was not directed @ you :)

the comment was directed @ the other poster...

here is the info concerning gunmetal... which is why I say it is fubar to claim it as dx9...

http://www.yetistudios.com/gunmetal/Gun Metal/Benchmark/Gun_Metal_FAQ.htm

they claim it to be dx9... but having run it on my system... I am still trying to figure out what it is that is dx9...

9. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

sorry to break it to you sazar.... but just because its a port doesn't mean its not a DX9 game, you will find that halo will be a DX9 game we have a few surprises for everyone :) but anyways my point was they may be ports but all they have to do is rewrite code to change dx8 to dx9 (which may not be the case with those games but it WILL be the case with halo) ;)

10. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

aparently a remade Tetris game is made purely from Direct X 9 technology. It aparently requires a fairly decent graphics card too.. ive seen it somewhere on the net some time ago.. ill look up for it if i can for a link

Alex :cool:

11. Sazar

halo is a different case krux...

the fact of the matter is when you break down the shaders you will find one which is extra long... not that it really does anything spectacular... but it gives the game the distinction of being dx9 class... :)

I am of course talking about gunmetal..

if you can show me anything about gunmetal thats is dx9 in an obvious way I will welcome it... :)

like I said about halo.. .they have had to rework more than just the aiming mechanism for the pc port :)

in gunmetal's case... yes... I am completely against the whole dx9 distinction it is being given... based on one longer than dx8 shader or whatever it is they have decided to implement...

12. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

No I agree with you about gun metal I read the faq u posted :) I was just saying because u kept referring to the xbox and that its games are Dx8 so they couldn't be Dx9. was just pointing out that they can is all :D

13. Sazar

halo is not a straight port fyi... you should know that better than anyone else... there is a lot of work being put into it :)

games like vice city and gunmetal are more direct ports with far less work put in.. certainly not as much when it comes to physics or other elements of the game... and shaders to take advantage of the new features in todays gpu's :)

14. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

I know I know! I was just saying!! :D :p Halo was why I bought your aweso moe powa 9700 :rolleyes:

15. Sazar

;)

16. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

ok so does that mean games like halo will look nicer on FX's than gf 4 TI's/

17. Sazar

and likely run faster... @ least on the mid-high end FX processors...

depends on the number of dx9 calls being made... and how many shaders are used and what effects...

18. the_music_man

then why did you guys tell me to get a ti4200!!!

19. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

yes it looks better, I had a 4600 and switched to a 9700 and it looks alot better. not IQ wise but effect wise

20. the_music_man

huh? i wasn't talkinga bout a 9700. i was talking about he fx's