Game Server

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey Everyone,
I am in the works of making a game server fo counterstrike source and possibly DODS. The server should be able to have 2 CSS servers running and possibly 1 DODS server. The server will need to accomodate 64 players on each CSS game and any number on the DODS game. My question to you is, will this setup suffice?

AMD Athlon X2 3800
1GB RAM (any kind)
80 GB WD Serial ATA Hard Drive
Biostar Geforce 6100-M9 GeForce 6100 Athlon 64(FX)/64 X2 Dual-Core Skt939 DDR M-ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Video, LAN, RAID/Serial ATA MOBO
LG GDR-8163BB 16X IDE DVD-ROM
LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK 550Watts Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 Pin connectors
Miscellaneous Case

If you find anything that should be upgraded or anything that is unneccessary, please reply.
Thanks a lot,
Jack

If I'm mistaken, don't you need a much larger hardrive to do something like this..

you shouldn't... just as long as you can instal the games i would think...which i'm sure they won't take up 80 gigs :p

other than that i would recommend at least double the ram...

sounds exciting, good luck :D

Have you heard back from Comcast about if they will let you do it?

that server is way under spec for what you want. you want atleast 2GB of ram and I'd hazard at 4GB to handle 192+ players, especially cionsidering you have specified no upper limit on DODS.

You also want a faster dual core chip. and 5-10mbts uplink speed too :)

No way in heck he'll get 5-10mbts of uplink, no way.

Yes, i got 10 mbps upload speed, from verizon...
Anyways, my friend says 2 gb of mem is neccessary, so that'll be it.
When i stated no specified number on DOD, I meant low numbers (its least important)

With a server for a game like CS you shouldn't need to even worry about your "server" having a nice DVD-ROM or video card, it won't need them. It only handles the math, loading lvls, ect. A game server needs connection speed, RAM, and CPU most of all. Of course fast HD's don't hurt but without the rest they are no good IMHO. :)

I dont even have a Vid Card,
Just thought i would do an sata HDD because it comes out being cheaper than a PATA. :)

Vanquished said:
Yes, i got 10 mbps upload speed, from verizon...
Anyways, my friend says 2 gb of mem is neccessary, so that'll be it.
When i stated no specified number on DOD, I meant low numbers (its least important)

Again I say you will NEVER achieve 10mbps upload stream. If you do, I will eat my words but I would need multiple bandwidth tests to prove it. Unless you paid a SICK amount of money, it just won't happen.

Another thing - if your "friend" says 2GB of RAM is all you need, and you won't listen to other people(s) suggestions - why ask?

Xie said:
With a server for a game like CS you shouldn't need to even worry about your "server" having a nice DVD-ROM or video card, it won't need them. It only handles the math, loading lvls, ect. A game server needs connection speed, RAM, and CPU most of all. Of course fast HD's don't hurt but without the rest they are no good IMHO. :)

Yep! Just need alot of ram, very fast cpu and a very fast connection. SATA hard drive sound be fast enough.

kcnychief said:
Again I say you will NEVER achieve 10mbps upload stream. If you do, I will eat my words but I would need multiple bandwidth tests to prove it. Unless you paid a SICK amount of money, it just won't happen.

Another thing - if your "friend" says 2GB of RAM is all you need, and you won't listen to other people(s) suggestions - why ask?
Becuase I didnt believe him... Most servers out there are really bad...
Anyways, yes I will have the 10mbps available... My friends father has huge ties to Verizon, he his extremely high up in Fidelity and can get whatever he wishes.

Admiral Michael - Is 2GB enough?

TechnoKid,
I suppose you can come in...
Won't be up til the summer though...

Make sure you post the IP of the game server in this thread so we can DoS attack it :p

Post it when you have it, then I'll tell you :p

Kidding - DoS is a Denial of Service Attack :lick:

You get FIOS via your connection? I wish I had FIOS .. but Verizon isn't offering here yet. Get at least faster upload for safe price (maybe cheaper) then cable here.

No,
I have comcast, i am putting the server not at my home but at the verizon place...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back