Gamcube or radeon 8500?

ok I stand corrected

A Technical Overview
60 frames per second vs. 30 frames per second has been one of the most contested ideas around the web and in print for the last year. Today we will look to see who is right, who is wrong, and who is just plain confused.
Chipmaker (and now boardmaker) 3dfx has been evangelizing gaming at 60 fps since the Voodoo 2 was released. Many have looked down upon 3dfx for this due to the common misconception that humans cannot distinguish framerates over 30 fps, so what is the point of having visuals running at 60 fps? Misconception you say? Yes. In this article we will look behind the technology of games, computers, movies, and television and the physiology and neuro-ethology of the human visual system.

ok so it is 60 I like many others had the wrong idea ,,,,, now after 60 it dont MATTER and both these cards get 60 fps np ....... so it comes down to the $ and all around performance ....... ATI is a better all around card and a much better buy for the $ ......... nvidia is for the teenie bobbers and bongheads LOLOL

Radeon 7000

Hey im not much of the extreme gamer so would the 32 mb Radeon 7000 perform good enough for playing red faction, command and conquer renegade, and just watching a few dvds?
One of my friend has a compaq (piece of trash) and its only got a nvdia 16 mb card and from what i can tell the graphics are great. Just wonderin how a Radeon 7000 would perfrom.

Re: Radeon 7000

Originally posted by Athalonxp1800gu
Hey im not much of the extreme gamer so would the 32 mb Radeon 7000 perform good enough for playing red faction, command and conquer renegade, and just watching a few dvds?
One of my friend has a compaq (piece of trash) and its only got a nvdia 16 mb card and from what i can tell the graphics are great. Just wonderin how a Radeon 7000 would perfrom.

ATI cards currently have the BEST visuals on the market no question. The implementation of there DVD decoding is far supierior to nvidia. The anti-aliasing is superior too.

Where they lack speed , they make up for on visual quality. Yes the 7000 range should do for you ok.. but dont rule out the faster 8500LE.. which is around £180 here in UK.

So if you want top speed get a geforce4, if you want good speed & visual quality go for ATI. ATIs only start to feel the strain when you pump them to anything over 1280x1024.

the GF3 Ti 500 still blows any radeon graphics card away... there is no contest.. if u cant afford a GF4 get a GF3 ti 500

If your REALLY looking for a value card.....

...that will ALSO give you a great amount of headroom, grab the Radeon 8500LE with 128mb of DDR Ram !!!! The ONLY difference between it and the regular Radeon 8500 is that it doesn't have the 2nd jack for a 2nd monitor, and how many of us has 2 of those? And the other is that it's clocked maybe 25mhz slower than the regular 8500!!! And that can be adjusted using Powerstrip, so you're really looking at a full fledged card here, with 128mb of DDR Ram !!!!! Come on...what more is there....and screw all the Nvidia guys.....you don't really need more than 60fps!!! If I rememeber correctly, that was the same argument nVidia used to make when 3DFX was kicking THEIR ass !!!

And currently you can find the 128mb version as low as $119 on www.pricewatch.com !!!

Oh yeah, and the DVD kicks ASS on the Radeon too.....so go for it !

The topic was to tell him to get a Radeaon or a gamecbe. Well, wasnt it guys? Nvidia makes good cards and so does ATI.
Now personally I would get a gamecube just for the fact Im getting a machine that uses the full potential of ATI's latest, I dont need drivers for and it uses IT Ram, very very fast ram. I'm sure your talking about gaming and not video editing and such, so the reason for your topic.

Originally posted by stuy_b
ATI Radion 8500 has better visuals compared to nvidia G
Geforce cards. There DVD output is much better.

Geforces are good for the teen gamer. But if your into serious DTP or vid editing the AIW128, cant be beaten. :)

Geforce has the raw speed crown for gaming at the moment..

This is the point I was basically trying to make. Also, the main question was Radeon or Gamecube, suggesting the cost be anywhere from $150 - $250. The Radeon falls in this catagory. The GF4 4400 - 4600 does not. I bought the 8500LE for cost and because I use my PC for DVDs. I also like the graphics a bit better than the GF series. Also, like I said, it was just my opinion. I've acquired a few more since the beginning of this thread, but we won't go there:D .

To each their own. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it......

Originally posted by EMPIRETANK
...if u cant afford a GF4 get a GF3 ti 500

And WTF is that about. Ok, if you can afford a Cadillac, get a Yugo....LMFAO:p

lol bongheads

Must be a case of too many FPS's from the all so famous nvidia card that or too many hits from the BONG !!!!!!!! lolol

ATI is the way to go .................. lolol

let's see how many more bongheads get bent over this

oh by the way the all so famous benchmarks that everyone preaches by where found to be made to favor nvidia cards ......... lolol must be the only way they think they can stay ahead ........hahahahhahaha

olright, i'm not a comp expert... but the thing is.. it depends on what your monitor is set at, if it's set at 60 hz, it can only display 60 frames per second, that's what hertz are... isn't it...? if you set your monitor to 75 hz, which most of us probably do because it strains your eyes to look at the monitor at 60 hz, then the most u can see is 75 fps... right? i duno, that's the way i think it is...

btw.... i think.... for future gaming, IT DOESN'T MATTER if u have an ati card that makes pictures look good, not like many of today's citizens wanna watch dvds on their computer, or know how to (haha) they'll just buy a dvd player and watch it on their big screen tvs....

wat future games are gonna need a simply fast video cards, like Doom 3, even ID software said that the geforce mx's aren't what doom 3 needs, yes, even the geforce '4' mx's. SPEED is what u need! even my voodoo 3 3000 PCI runs good for today's games.

and check this, i'm probably get it some time this summer:
Aopen Geforce 3 Ti-200 128 mb DDr with TV out and DVI
and yes, it hasta be aopen, most hardware review sites show that the geforce 3 ti-200 doesn't have tv out, and only has 64 mb memory. Did i mention the price?? $195.00......... CANADIAN

doom 3????

Tuesday, May 28, 2002

Doom III and R300 Smoking - 5:48 pm EST - MrB
Few people have emailed me about this news story at MSNBC about Doom III @ E3. Here's the best quote for all the fanboys out there.

Doom III is very much hardware driven, and one of the controversies of this year’s E3 was that the game was demonstrated on the latest ATI graphics card rather than a card from NVidia.
“NVidia has been stellar in terms of driver quality and support and doing all of the things right,” says Carmack, who has been an outspoken evangelist for NVidia’s GeForce technology. “For the past few years, they have been able to consistently outplay ATI on every front. The problem is that they are about one-half step out of synch with the hardware generation because they did Xbox instead of focusing everything on their next board. So they are a little bit behind ATI.”
“I told everyone that I was going to demonstrate Doom III on the best hardware, and there has been no collusion or kickbacks or anything like that going on. Our objective is the technical merit.”
“The new ATI card was clearly superior. I don’t want to ding NVidia for anything because NVidia has done everything they possibly could; but in every test we ran, ATI was faster.”

Now whatwas that you were saying about DOOM 3??? hahahahahahahahahha

Catch is an ATI bash-a-holic and can't handle the truth.....:rolleyes:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Re: If your REALLY looking for a value card.....

Originally posted by Phantom_24
...that will ALSO give you a great amount of headroom, grab the Radeon 8500LE with 128mb of DDR Ram !!!! The ONLY difference between it and the regular Radeon 8500 is that it doesn't have the 2nd jack for a 2nd monitor, and how many of us has 2 of those? And the other is that it's clocked maybe 25mhz slower than the regular 8500!!! And that can be adjusted using Powerstrip, so you're really looking at a full fledged card here, with 128mb of DDR Ram !!!!! Come on...what more is there....and screw all the Nvidia guys.....you don't really need more than 60fps!!! If I rememeber correctly, that was the same argument nVidia used to make when 3DFX was kicking THEIR ass !!!

And currently you can find the 128mb version as low as $119 on www.pricewatch.com !!!

Oh yeah, and the DVD kicks ASS on the Radeon too.....so go for it !

Thats pretty sweet! 119$ for a Radeon 8500LE ! Hmmm i'll think about it

Hey guys is there some kind of Gamecube Emulator out there? Cause I really need one...

I think you should get the Radeon 8500, since you will be stukc with 'kiddie' games, games which are not for mature gamers. But you like GameCube games, go ahead and buy one! :)

Kiddie Games ?!

From what I've read...Resident Evil 0 is supposed to be some pretty creepy stuff.....along with that new gladiator game which is supposed to be all trippy and creepy as well !!

Hey o_87....

Are you the one called Genesis who makes icons for Wincustomize.com (I think) ??!

Those are awesome ones if you are the one! Checkin your site now !

yes, but those are the ONLY ones... I am not in anyway saying that the GameCube sucks, all im saying is that it is MORE geared towards a younger audience than its competitors, namely the Sony PS2, and MIcrosoft Xbox.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back