Gain some understanding

Z

ZipTriX

It's in regards to backup. I'm kind of lost. I know it sounds wierd. I'm running XP Home, and it doesn't come preinstalled with the Backup utility (have to install it off the disc). Well I install it, ran it and saved the backup file on my 2nd hard drive. Well the files size is 1.32 GB and everything on my C Drive is 3.18 GB. Did it compress the 3.18 GB?
The reason I am asking, is because I ran a program and it mucked up my system. Ran it 3 times, rebooted and got the same error. Something about a file in the Windows\System32\Config\System folder. I have no idea. I had system resotre points too, but they did no good. I couldn't boot into Windows OR into Safe Mode to do the restoration. I even inserted the CD and went to the recovery console and that was a waste of time. So each time I have had to reinstall everything. I just need some understanding on the Backup utility (like what all it backs up) and Automated System Recovery. Any direction to understanding and creating a successful backup would be great.

Ok it backs up your files But, its not the same as a disk image.
If you have to restore your system you have to reinstall everything from the cd,s, and the back up is only good for say Word files, or game saves.
There are other programs which let you restore everything including system files.
one is called Norton Ghost
hope this has helped

Originally posted by Goose
Ok it backs up your files But, its not the same as a disk image.
If you have to restore your system you have to reinstall everything from the cd,s, and the back up is only good for say Word files, or game saves.
There are other programs which let you restore everything including system files.
one is called Norton Ghost
hope this has helped

which is better, ghost or powerquest drive image?

Dont use power quest drive image pro 4.0 as it can (and does)screw your o/s... been there done that..... if you do choose this one then make sure that it is the latest version and that it def dont mind XP, I have a copy if Norton ghost but have never managed to get very far with it... maybe its me or just because...............

Just checked the power quest site and they no longer produce drive image pro, they have renamed it to deploy centre and can be found on the link below, it look quite good and says that its designed for win XP,

http://www.powerquest.com/deploycenter/

would be interested to know how you get on,

:)

Originally posted by noah472
Just checked the power quest site and they no longer produce drive image pro, they have renamed it to deploy centre and can be found on the link below, it look quite good and says that its designed for win XP,

http://www.powerquest.com/deploycenter/

would be interested to know how you get on,

:)

They still make Drive Image. Version 5 is out and compatible with XP

Drive Image Link

Norton rocks the kazbar, but backup under XP is supposed to be close.

I have not verified this works, but in backup if you select to backup everything (litterally everything - system state, games, appz everything on hd's etc) it offers to write an "ASR" disk - automatic system recovery.

If you put the backup file somewhere safe and keep this disk you can (in theory) restore the system a' la ghost. If all goes south, slap in original XP disk, press F2 <- NOT F6 when prompted and slap in the floppy ASR disk. From this point it's an unknown to me as i haven't tried it, but it apparently reinstall's XP from cd then launches the restore process from the backup file restoring all apps games/settings etc!!

pretty sweet *IF* it works ;)

Ritchie.

Originally posted by Ritchie
Norton rocks the kazbar, but backup under XP is supposed to be close.

I have not verified this works, but in backup if you select to backup everything (litterally everything - system state, games, appz everything on hd's etc) it offers to write an "ASR" disk - automatic system recovery.

If you put the backup file somewhere safe and keep this disk you can (in theory) restore the system a' la ghost. If all goes south, slap in original XP disk, press F2 <- NOT F6 when prompted and slap in the floppy ASR disk. From this point it's an unknown to me as i haven't tried it, but it apparently reinstall's XP from cd then launches the restore process from the backup file restoring all apps games/settings etc!!

pretty sweet *IF* it works ;)

Ritchie.
ASR is ONLY for Pro Edition

poo. never noticed the "home" in XP ;) i always just read XP!

Originally posted by Ritchie
poo. never noticed the "home" in XP ;) i always just read XP!
lol....neither did I til I bought it. People kept saying there wasn't a big difference between the 2, but there is. :( You would think microsoft would include the gpedit.msc with the Home Edition. Go figure :(

You would think microsoft would include the gpedit.msc with the Home Edition. Go figure

Not if it doesn't appear in their business plan you wouldn't :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back