G5 *drool*

NetRyder said:
Last I checked, you couldn't buy computers from Microsoft, so the comparison doesn't make sense. :rolleyes:

It would be up to the individual vendors (like IBM, Dell, HP) to decide if they want to give you free OS upgrades for a certain period after they've shipped your system. Most of them don't, as far as I know, but then again, they aren't obliged to. Neither is Apple, really. If you know a new OS version is imminent, you should probably just wait...unless you absolutely need the machine ASAP, of course.

I buy the OS from Apple, and i buy an OS from Microsoft, so is it not up to them?

I might buy my copy of Windows at Staples, but i could do the same for Mac OS X, i could buy it at CompUSA.

Yeah, but if you buy just the OS, they don't give you a free upgrade, do they?

My 30-day reasoning was just because retailers such as Best Buy and Circuit City offer a 30-day guarantee on products that you purchase. If the price is lowered in the next 30 days after purchase, then you get the difference back plus 10%. I realize that it's not a perfect comparison, but if you purchased X PC for $1000 with XP installed, and then X PC was available 3 weeks later with a new OS installed, then there should be a rule applied there with the 30-day guarantee that makes an upgrade available for free.

I suppose Apple is generous in offering a free upgrade within 2 weeks. They don't have to offer it at all. Personally, I would just make it a month, nice and even. :)

NetRyder said:
Yeah, but if you buy just the OS, they don't give you a free upgrade, do they?

If you buy Panther they give you 14 days. So they do.

ok... ok .... getting off the point alittle.... ( he says on his way out to the TNT parcel office to pick up his G5 2 days (or 1 day) early)....

We'll get back on topic when you bring in your G5! :p

Ladies and Gentlemen...

This is the Dual 2GHz Apple Mac G5.

I could sit here and type away happily on my new keyboard, though slightly smaller than my G4, still a pleasure to tap away on.... I could baffle the "n00bs" with blah blah blah ... but ladies and gentlemen ... boy and girls.... words can not give an awesome enough review of this machine... nor can the pictures I took .... I am truely humbled to have a Power Mac G5 sitting on my desk...

However I will point out that there are somethings which I didn't realise when I bought it, then I did realise that it was my bad, because lets face it... I can't blame Apple for anything, they're just too cool.

1. The weight of the actual Machine itself. Its quite a heavy machine... and by quite... I mean I actually got a small supprise when carrying it to the car, though don't mistake what I say, its not too heavy.

and

2. The Mac doesn't come with speakers. D'oh, though not really since like the G4 iMac (not sure about the other desktops), it does appear to have an internal speaker system-esque deal going for it.

And thats all the bad things about the Power Mac G5.

There are waaaayyy to many good, positive things to say about it, everything from it already having a base OS installed on it so all you have to do is fill in the generic Apple Registration, to the fact its a Dual 2GHz Processer Machine Which Means It 0wns!

If I was to compare it to a vehicle .... well technically I couldn't because nothing comes close, but in "la la fantasy land" it would be a BMW-Mercedes Benz-Nissan hybrid pickup truck. Orgasmically sexy with enough power (that can even be expanded!) to run over and kill 20 thousand full grown elephants and still keep on going to the shops and back... shops located on THE MOON!

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, n00bs and g33ks .... the next time you buy a new computer, you buy and Apple Mac, even if its not what you want, because they're just that good

Attachments

• P2230001.JPG
    P2230001.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 106
  • P2230002.JPG
    P2230002.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 119
  • P2230016.JPG
    P2230016.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 99
  • P2230021.JPG
    P2230021.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 103
  • P2230019.JPG
    P2230019.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 109
Oh yeah, and my pictures don't do enough to show it in its whole awesomeness.

Attachments

• P2230010.JPG
    P2230010.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 99
  • P2230016.JPG
    P2230016.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 98
  • P2230036.JPG
    P2230036.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 124
  • P2230030.JPG
    P2230030.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 109
Yay! Rep++++++...i want one but to much moolah!

Congrats on your new mac! Looks like a beaut, no less, and must be a heck of a performer under the hood :)

zeke_mo said:
Wow. Dual 64bit cpus.....wow...That thing must hall some serious ass
i wanna try the amd opteron on the abit motherboard it supports dual processor, that should fly away

Where do you live Mr. Scooter? And how long does it take the police to get to your place when called? And do you have an alarm installed? And at what times will you be away from home? At what time are you asleep?

Just some random info :p

Nice PC, wish i had the cash to buy one.

X-Istence said:
Where do you live Mr. Scooter? And how long does it take the police to get to your place when called? And do you have an alarm installed? And at what times will you be away from home? At what time are you asleep?

Just some random info :p

Nice PC, wish i had the cash to buy one.

I live ... in Fort Nox ... thats is cunningly hidden in the Northern areas of England.

About 5 minutes since the station... is about 5 minutes away :p

Yep

Never and never again :p

The only reason I had the £££ was cause it was my 21st b-day so relatives made their yearly "come out the wood work" festival and I work bucket loads :p

I didn't wanna say too much cause I wanna put "her" thru the paces then come back with even more "as soon as they make human & computer marrages legal i'm marrying my Macs" :p

Congratulations!

*sigh* Reminds me of when I first opened my G5. I wish I could do it all over again!

Yes, it is heavy... especially a dual processor G5.

The internal speaker does a pretty decent job for what it is. I've just been using it so far, waiting until I can afford those beautiful Harman Kardon Soundsticks!

Pop off the side and get pics of the processors and insane amounts of RAM sticks you've got in there! It's so simple to remove the side, there's really no reason not to! :D

heh, i will as soon as i get my extra RAM from crucial, but thats a whole other headache story with funding and Barclaycard :rolleyes:

So at the mo' its just x2 512MB making 1GB ram ... which... is still pretty sweet .... still.. one day... 8 GB ram... 3 256MB graphics cards and a G239 dual processer ... mmmm.... :p

I'm gonna try to get around 4GB eventually. I could do 8GB, but it doesn't seem necessary!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back