G3 as server in windows environment

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
hey ho - I continue in skint benefits situation... Which is sort of part of the reason for this post...

See although I recently did plug back in my old exchange raided terrabyte server I'm reluctant to leave it powered up, which is let's face it a big draw back to a server!

And although on benefits (welfare to you yanks) I lucked out with my recent placement with these guys, who I must seriously pimp and ask you to also. Anyway they have a few old boxen in various states, among them a G3 sans PSU. Whilst looking into fixing the PSU for them I sorted their mac needs with an iMac (they only wanted access to Safari really) and know they'd likely let me take the G3 since I'm gifting them various bits and bobs.

And whilst I was looking into the G3 PSU I noticed it was only needing 200W... and had a spare drive bay or two....you can see where I am going here, so anyone used G3 as server - what power PC linux servers will go there... issues for Windoze and Linux connectivity... I am right in that the G3/G4 were the last of the powerPC, aren't I? They also have G4 sans system folder and I have my beady eyes on that for my sister... Suspect it would make a crap server though....

And hate to name names - but Lancer you never came through so next time there's a freebie on offer I am afraid you are not worthy... ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back