FTP upload fails

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political Access
Every time I try to upload a file it fails. Small files just get to 100% and then stop, not completing and large files don't start or stop after about 9000 bytes.

I've tried a number of FTP clients and a number of different FTP sites. I have Windows 64 but I used to have this problem intermittently before. Which is odd cause this is an entirely new computer.
I don't think Its the sites as I tried several different ones, and with small files I can use a web based FTP and it works ok. But I need to upload large files

This is really annoying!

if you are using flashfxp, check the setting "noop" or osmething like that. It would cause it to hang many times (if behind a router)
**make sure it is disabled

I have a similar problem.

I bring my notebook to work and have no issues uploading at work. However, when I am at home I can't upload.

I am using WS_FTP Professional 2006. I had version 9.01 and it worked fine with the same router.

You have to open the ports for FTP if you are behind a router or using a software firewall. This function will be under advanced settings in the Router setup firmware. The port that has to be forwarded is Port 21. If the port setup looks too complicated you can do a quick check by setting the computer you are on to DMZ under advanced. That opens everything up for one compputer and should not be left open for security reasons. If you do not have admin privileges on the router you will not be able to change the port settings. For a software firewall the FTP program has to be allowed to act as a server.

The other possibility is that your ISP is blocking FTP as part of their security meausres. You may be able to get them to open your account for FTP or they may want to sell you an added feature like VPN. Talk to the ISP after you have checked your router setup. I have a buddy who has gone through hell with seeveral ISP's. All he has available are small local ones with really bizare security restrictions.

Only window firewall atm, and have tried turning it off. My router doesn't block out going connections and its worked before. Plus it doesn't block the connection, it connects fine, just stops uploading after 9216 bytes on some clients, different on others

Last edited:
Sounds like an ISP issue then. Call them and complain. They are getting very pushy about blocking outgoing traffic because of BOTs and illegal file sharing. My ISP shuts me down periodically if I'm on a P2P network and I have to reset my router. It just started last fall.

I thought about NIS being the culprit and looked into it. However, if that were the case then WS_FTP Professional v9.01 wouldn’t work.

I didn’t give any thought about Verizon DSL being the culprit and I still don’t because once again, WS_FTP Professional v9.01 would not have worked.

Now what doesn’t make any sense is that WS_FTP Professional 2006 works fine on my notebook when connected at work, but not at home.

And what makes it really odd is that I can download from FTP just fine. I just can't upload. Khayman, how about you?

[edit]
After several automatic retries I get the following error: "filename.html: Append/Restart not permitted, try again."
[/edit]

You're dropping your connection and either the FTP software or the site you are connecting to is not letting you restart the file from where it left off. If it's the FTP software settings for append/restart then you may be able to change them. If it's the software on the other end your stuck.

In either case since you get the same results from different sites then it is your ISP dropping the connection long enough to time out the transfer.

Like I said before, SBC started doing something last fall with P2P. Transfers to or from single users and commercial web sites do not have the drop out problem. I'm sure it is intentional too.

I agree with Leejend, it sounds like the Isp is blocking your efforts to ftp.

No this is a firewall issue. either client side or server side.

I'd recheck local firewall settings (set it to wide open or off) and try again.

If it still failes get intouch with the server admin and have them tweak their firewall.

Ideally tell them to turn off the firewall on the server as 99% of servers and clients use passive FTP which when firewalled casues all sorts of problems including dropped/cut off conenctions during firewalls.

FTP servers should not be firewalled or packet filtered at all, ever.

Seems odd to be a firewall issue as it connects. But its seems it must be either my computer (which would be odd) or the ISP as I tried the same software and FTP site from work and it works fine. I have contacted ISP and web host but I bet neither of them know anything

In my case I can download, rename, delete, and every thing else, just not upload. I sent in for support from Ipswitch. I'll see what they have to say. Like I said, it doesn't make sense since it all stopped working with the new version. But on the other hand the same version works on my other network (at my office).

If it works on some ftp's and not others, it's not your connection ..

no, it connects. Just can't upload. On any ftp site

did you try it directly connected to the pc without the router ??? I know you said it don't bloack any connections, but, sometimes there is still something there .. Also, what kind of router is it ??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back