Frustrating FTP connection problem

What is Port triggering? Can I use that? it is a setting on my router setup.

Thanks,

Heeter

If it hangs at 227 then you do not have the PASV setup correctly.

Heeter you have active and passive ftp forwarded to the same port onthe target server :p

you should forward ports 2099-2101 to port 2099 on the target server
and the other ports to the start port of the pasv on the target computer.

try that and it should all work.

Also despite what people say you do need a FTP-DATA and FTP-CONTROL port forwarded - some of us try and use active ftp where possible so not forwarding them would break ftp for those users.

In your case FTP-DATA is 2099 and FTP-CONTROL is 2100

The thing with this whole thing is that if port 21 wasn't blocked and you were able to use it you would be having no probs. Mostly because the default port for a router in an ftp setup is port 21. Also linksys don't know their butts from a whole in the ground, it hard enough trying to understand what they are saying let alone for them to figure how to use thier own equipment.

You have that absolutely correct, Johnny. I learned from the phone conversation yesterday.

LORDofLA: Sorry, bud. Now you lost me. On my router port forwarding page, what do I do? Let me know if this is okay on my router settings.

Thanks for the help so far, guys

Heeter

Attachments

• router setting.JPG
    router setting.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 74
  • MultiIP Settings.JPG
    MultiIP Settings.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 66
  • MultiIP Settings2.JPG
    MultiIP Settings2.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 80
Ooooh, now I get it. People from the outside can connect, but not from the inside, is that it? If so, that's not so strange and entirely expected.

You've set the FTP server to tell the clients to make data connections to your external IP, so any machine inside your network is likely to be confused.
One workaround, if your router supports it, is for the clients inside the network to connect to your external IP just like external clients. This, however, can slow down your transfers, as they have to go through the router.

Some servers support selection of using the passive mode settings for certain clients or not, but yours doesn't look like it does.

The last solution is to set up a specific port for the internal computers which doesn't use the normal passive mode settings. Some servers again support this, if yours does, I don't know. Often by making two virtual servers in the FTP server.

There might be other workarounds as well, but these are the ones I can think of. :)

Oh and one more thing, skip the +-1 ports! It's just useless (since -1 isn't used anymore even if it's in the original standard). It's pretty much like knowing your friend's home address and still sending his mail in copies to his neighbours "just in case". See my point? ;)

And can people pleeeaaase stop saying that you should forward port-1 or 20? It's not used in PASV mode anyway. Afaik the only time it's used is in PORT mode and even then it's only used for outgoing connections which means you don't have to forward it for incoming connections anyway.

*stops ranting*

LordOfLA said:
Also despite what people say you do need a FTP-DATA and FTP-CONTROL port forwarded - some of us try and use active ftp where possible so not forwarding them would break ftp for those users.
No it won't. The whole point of passive ftp is to be the opposite of active, i.e. the server connect out on the data port to a port on the client.

Code:
COMMAND:>	PORT 127,0,0,1,5,138
		200 Port command successful.
COMMAND:>	LIST
		150 Opening data connection for directory list.
		226 Transfer ok.
Code:
COMMAND:>	PASV
		227 Entering Passive Mode (127,0,0,1,6,27)
COMMAND:>	LIST
		150 Data connection accepted from 127.0.0.1:1424; transfer starting.
		226 Transfer ok.

Compare the two. In the first one (PORT mode) the client decides what port to be used, so the server connects out to it. In the second one (PASV mode) the server provides the port and the client connects to it. (ok the example is done on localhost because I'm behind a router, but I think you get it)

So anyway you turn it, FTP-DATA doesn't have to be forwarded. Just don't block it going out.

I been thinking about this and remembered that a firewall can block ativity from the clients to the ftp. Could be you have the firewall set up wrong, that is if you are using one ...

Hi Johnny,

I have tried with all my firewalls turned off (WinXPSp2 firewall and Kerio PF) still nothing.

I am at a loss. Those pics I posted above are how my settings are, still nothing.

Heeter

when you try to connect from a client does it give you a connection refused error ???

Connecting from a client behind a router gets a "530 PORT command only accepts client IP address" error

It does logon, but it hangs when the filelist suppose to pull up with this error.

Heeter

Tell them to use PASV (Passive FTP) or tell the clients to use a decent ftp app that lets them force which IP to use in the PORT command (FlashFXP is one that I use)

What firewall are you using ??? Also are you using macafee ?? I had the same prob - I was using macafee sicurity quite. I uninstalled the suite an dit worked perfect. More than likely the firewall is causing it, uninstall and it see what happens ... Just shutting it down won't work ..

It works, It works.

My bro downloaded the 30day trial version of FlashFXP. With the default settings, my bro was able to logon to the my FTP server. Looks like the problem was his client all the time (CuteFTP). Now I am going to wait and see if my buddy can do the same thing behind his router, he got the same errors, but I don't know what client he uses.

BTW, Is there a Freeware FTP client that is the same as FlashFXP?

Thanks for all who stuck it out and helped me with my settings, problems.
Johnny, Zedric, LordofLA.

Heeter

If I recall, FlashFXP is only $20 to buy, well worth it too as it's good for all versions. I had stopped using my PC for a while, and it's up and running again only recently, but the key I had for FlashFXP was for a previous version. I sent them an email with my registration info, but since the email account I used to register is no longer active, they simply asked me to send them some form of ID. $20 for life, and it's a damn good proggy!

That's it, $20bucks! For life!

That's actually very cheap.

Heeter

Ultrafxp was good also. It was free as well, until the guy got sued by flashget. I think you can still find the download on line for it ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back