"friendly" pop up

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by FishBoy, May 20, 2005.

1. hey i'm trying to make a new window open up but it only works on ie, firefox blocks it how do you make it so firefox actually opens it and sees it as "firendly" instead of it being a spam or something like that?

here is what i got
    Code:
    window.open('pop.html','blah','menubar=no,scrollbars=no,toolbar=no,status=no,resize=no').focus();

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Don't use popups at all?

Simple, if you are using popups you need to redesign your site, or redo your entire layout.

3. oh ok then well is there a way to manipulate my current window 'self' to not resize and have nothing but the page showing liks i showed in my code above but without having to open a new window coz i only knew how to do it with a new window but not with the current window, i'd excpected it to be something like 'self.attributes' lol but of course that's not it

4. X-Istence

FishBoy: It is the users decision as to how they want their browser to look. Just redirect them to the page you want to show them in a normal browser window using an <a href> and stop messing with people's browsers.

I really hate it when there are popup windows, or sites that try to change the way i want my browser to look. I close the site, reset my browser to the standards i had it at before, and then ignore that site. There is a reason why most people block them.

5. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

Auto pop-ups are blocked for a reason. If there was a code for a "friendly" pop-up, you can guarantee that every ad ****er would start using that code.

Melon

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I tell firefox and admuncher to remove anything that implies I'm, not going to be able to resize a popup, or get a menu in a popup or get an address bar in a popup.

you dont need a popup. Just open a new page (maybe even say "right click this link and chose open in new tab/window) leave the user decide.

7. okay then lol i guess off to plan B.... no pop up lol you guys seemed angry about it

8. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

the most annoying thing to me is a site that auto maximizes my browser...there should be an opt out in tools

9. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

You can in Firefox.

10. X-Istence

Never came across one, would piss me off as well. Site suddenly seems to be blacklisted to the ip 10.10.10.66 on my local network :p

<This site does bad javascript. No more fun>

And i move on :p