Fried computer, see post, strange

johnny010

OSNN Newbie
1) moms computer gets hit by a storm
2) mom brings to me to fix
3) i check and mobo has a burn on it so i order a new one
4) new mobo comes in and computer turns on right away w/out me doing anything
5) computer then starts beeping, and never stops....
6) check award bios beep codes and indicates means electrical short
6) take out her psu, and try my 550w psu, and computer will not start at all, nothing
7) try my 550w psu, and new equivalent memory and nothing at all
8) try her psu and new memory and computer boots without me touching anything (never press the power button)....computer shows nothing on screen, and goes back to beep beep beep....never stops..

Anyone know how to fix this?

Are you sure everything is plugged in correctly?
I recently took my computer apart and i had misplugged the power button cords, it was an easy fix but the result was that the pc turned on just at being plugged in.

If a computer gets hit by lightning you have to independently check every component. The bad news this is dangerous to the system you are checking them in. I keep a crappy old Duron rig with built in video as a test bed.

If your PC is still ok keep it that way!

Put your new MB, your PSU and the old cpu/hsf together. Plug in only the case power switch and speaker. NOTHING else. If you get beep codes the CPU and MB are running. Add your kybd and mouse
-Next add one stick of your RAM and the beep code should change from ram bad to video bad (if you have built in video you may not get any beep codes). If it does add a video card next.
-If adding video cause no new beeps hook up a monitor. First a known good one then the old one.
-You should have a POST screen now.
-next add a HD and see if it finds it. If not remove HD and try a CD/DVD with a windows cd in it.

Add in one piece of old hardware at a time until all the old hardware is verified or isolated as bad.

And even if you are positive you have the case connectors in right check them again. It is really easy to identify pin one on those high density headers wrong and each manufacturer has a different layout. Sometimes I have to re-arrange pins in headers.

Unless this is the same board from the same manufacturer the mounting holes could be in different areas of the motherboard. If so you could have a mount grounding the board to the case.

Thanks Zombie I forgot to mention that part.

Those initial test should be done with the MB sitting on the table not in the case. It eliminates the crooked install issues. I usually just set the MB on the box next to the casewhere the switch and PSU wires will reach. Or spread the whole mess out on the (non-metalic) table.

You can start the system by tapping the pwr sw pins with a metal pen tip.

If you just want to check a power supply set it on the bench, plug it in and turn on the switch. Then on the MB connector using a metal paper clip connect the green wire to an adjacent black wire. The fan will start up and the power leads will be hot. You can plug in fans, case lites, HD's, CD/DVDs this way to check them without risking a system. I keep a junky old power supply around for this kind of post lightning testing too.

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 673

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back