Fresh Devices Spam Scam

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by coathanger007, Oct 31, 2003.

1. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

Fresh Devices are continually updating with minor improvements. Every time I get the update newsletter it's full of spam adverts. Are updates really being used for advertising - adware I say :(

2. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

Do they send you any other unsolicited e-mail?
    My fresh devices account for example I created for them and them only.
    They send me update notifications and when I misplace my serial for fresh UI they send me two mails, 1 to prove it is me that wants
    the serial and register and 2 the 3 serials for fresh download, Tweak UI and Fresh Diagnose. it has a few things on it that they think i might click and they get a small commision if I buy them.

They are hardly sending me spam :p

3. coathanger007

Problem with spam is you're never sure who's sending them. Besides, look at their newsletters. Full of 3rd party adverts !

4. That's why I unsubscribed from them. But I still watch for any updates to the programs through here or at their site.

5. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Fresh Devices does not give our your email address to spammers, nor do they cause you more spam. I can confirm that for sure. I gave out a unique email address Fresh Devices some time ago. All they sent me was stuff from them, never did I receive spam from another source. However, I have since unsubscribed from their emails, and have not received anything on that email address for a long time (either from fresh devices or from spammers).

Of course, I realize that coathanger007 was referring to the stuff that they put in their newsletter. However, I just wanted to assure everyone that your address is safe with Fresh Devices, and they will even stop the newsletter if you ask them to.

On the other hand, registering with Ebay is a major source of spam (and the spam increases whenever you edit your profile).

6. coathanger007

Thanks for confirmation. I'm still struggling to find the source of my spam woes. I think its just hotmail.

7. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Spammers can get your email address via any of the following ways:

1. If you put your email address on ANY website. Spammers have programs that go through websites looking for email addresses.
    An interesting idea is to do a google search for your email address and then see what websites have it. This won't give you all sites, but it will give you a lot of them.
    2. If you use your email address in a newsgroup. Spammers can get ahold of your address that way.
    3. If you click on the unsubscribe link in the spam message. It is possible for the spammers to craft the unsubscribe link so that when you click on it, they immediately know that they have found a legitimately email address. They can thus send you more spam and sell your email address to others (if that's what they want to do).
    4. By viewing the spam message. It is possible (though how often it happens I do not know) for spammers to create an email message so that by simply viewing it, they can tell you have viewed it, and then they know that the email address is legitimate. Just like in point #3, they can send you more spam, or sell your email address as a legitimate target. The ways to combat this are complicated:
    A) Eliminate javascript in your email messages
    In Outlook Express, go to Tools->Options->[Security] tab. Make sure the "Restricted Sites Zone" is selected. This is the default setting in Windows XP.
    B) Next, elimate the ability to view images in your email program.
    The only way that I know to do this is through a firewall. And even then, I'm not absolutely sure, I know how to set up the firewall correctly in this area. Basically, you need to block all http ports (80 and 81) for the Outlook Express program; and, if you know how, also block every other port that Outlook Express doesn't need to exchange email.
    If you view your email in a browser, instead of an email program, then there is no solution, apart from turning off javascript and the ability to view images.
    5. If you use a well known ISP or email service AND pick an email address with a common name. Spammers can employ a method of just guessing a lot of names and sending out email to that domain. For example, coathanger007@a.com is likely to get spammed in this manner. On the other hand, spammers are less likely to guess this email address:
    a._.really__weird_-_name.3274@a.com

Unfortunately, this is not something you will remember or want to give out to other people, since it's so complicated. Instead, I use an email redirection service (I have people email me at another address which directs it to this email).

Specific things that cause spam:
    6. Signing up for Ebay. It seems that spammers have a way to get ahold of your address and send you all kinds of spam when you sign up at Ebay. They are pretty nasty messages at that, and simply modifying your profile increasese the spam.
    7. Using sites like submitplus.com and ineedhits.com to submit your site to search engines for free. They ask for your email address to do this; it results in spam. It's possible that it is not the fault of submitplus.com and ineedhits.com, but that the places that they submit to are causing the spam.
    8. Using Bugzilla (this includes bugzilla.mozilla.org, bugzilla.gnome.org, and any other bugzilla system. The reason for this is that the email address gets displayed on the website, and as #1 states, spammers can get your address this way.

Note: Once your email is out there and has been obtained by spammers, it is likely it has been put on a list somewhere (that is sold to spammers). Thus, even by removing your address from websites, or taking other measures, it may never eleminate spam from that account again.

Ways that you may get spam:
    1. When a site asks for your email address to provide you with some service. Some sites could just as easily provide the service without needing your email address. In this case, consider using a throwaway account (like hotmail).

Ways that you will rarely (if every) get spam:
    1. Sending email to other people you know (and they in turn add you to their address book or keep a copy of your email address around). I suppose it is possible to get spam this way (if the other person gets a virus or whatnot), but it rarely happens. Then again, as I think about it, I don't think many spammers are gonna risk using a virus to get ahold of people's email addresses. However, it is possible for the trojan or virus to spread itself to other people in the address, book; but this is rare, and easy to deal with (delete the email).

Ways that you will not get spam:
    1. Signing up on a legitimate forum (like this one) and then setting the preferences so that your email is always hidden.

Some notes about spam:
    Newletters you didn't want (not true spam):
    Most legitimate sites that have an unsubscribe feature that does work. The way to tell if it is legitimate, is if you had been to the site before, provided them with your email address (for a certain reason), and then they have sent you an email address talking about themselves or what they have to offer.
    Fresh Devices fits this description exactly; and, a simple unsubscribe usually get's rid of the messages. However, sometimes you may get a few more newsletters after you hit unsubscribe, and under a few rare cases you will have to contact them directly about it.

Spammers fake the header info
    Spammers may fake both the To: and From: field. Because of this, it makes it impossible to make rules in Outlook Express that will always delete spam.

8. coathanger007

Thanks. You sure know spam inside out :)