Freezing Under Intense Conditions

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Hey yall--

My computer freezes (mouse is unmoveable, have to manually turn the computer off) mainly during movies or under intense graphical situations. I ran DirectX Diagnostic Tools and it said that it didnt see any problems....any help?

Thx

Brad

edit: just froze again, temp was 56C

Are your video drivers current?
What about chipset?
If not that, I'd reccomend trying to find out what temp. your processor is and if it's overheating. Try motherboard monitor.
Also, are you overclocking anything? ram, cpu, video?

nothing is being overclocked...
video drivers are current, chipset drivers are current

hmmm, it seems like your cpu might be running a bit hot, what kind of cpu are you running?

Brad-

1) A big what's up

2) Definitely think it's a cooling problem. Check and make sure all fans are still running. A good cleaning with some compressed air probably wouldn't hurt much either.

Hey there Brad! You've been missed on the Folding team! Maybe a bad time to mention that, but anyways if you need to do any burn in tests for any changes - Folding works well ;)

i am using an athon xp 2400. i forget what the stuff is called, but the gel that goes in between the fan and the cpu----if i put some different stuff on there, would that help? I had put some stuff that came with the fan on there....

and hello to dreamliner and to mainframeguy

It's called thermal paste ;)

If you use the best and apply it just right (ideally it is uniformly just a few molecules thick!) then you might shave two or three degrees C off your temps, not much more I should think UNLESS there is something wrong with the way your current paste is applied or it has to some extent degraded (which I believe can happen after years and years).

So not a radical change, not like fitting a high end cooler where you might even achieve ten degrees extra cooling under load, maybe.

i've got two fans though...both running and everything...

check if they are not pumping against each other :p.

Also, open up your case and while the case is open play on the PC, if you don't get the problem it has to do with the way hot air is removed from your case by the fans.

Take up the advice on the compressed air, and blow and dust out of the PC. If you are carefull enough, unplug the PC, and take your vacuum cleaner and hold it 1/2 inch above the motherboard to suck up all the dust while you spray with compressed air. If wanted, take a small paint brush that has never been used, that has plastic bristles that don't break off easily, and just sweep it over the dust to get it to loose up and then let the vacuum suck it up.

Good luck.

X-Istence knows what he is talking about, but I think its best to use a PC vaccum cleaner instead a normal one that can play havoc with electric systems (static)

I have one fan in the back and one fan in the bottom.

Ok, is the paste very thinly applied?

Effectively, the way you should imagine thermal paste is not cement between 2 bricks (ie a good amount) but imagine that the bottom of your heatsny is not perfectly smooth. All the paste should do is fill tiny gaps to ensure there is no air between the CPU and the block.

Aside from that it could be your GPU over heating. What is it? (graphics card)

this is my graphics card info

Attachments

• gfx.jpg
    gfx.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 84
#1 up your refresh rate, that has to flicker lick hell.

#2, how much ram do you have? could be using and excess amount and slowing everything down really bad,

make sure the fan on the video card is working correctly.

also, does that card need addition power source? if so, is your power supply big enough?

and does nvidia have like ati has vpu recover? that might be causing it.

one thing i would try is setting all of your stuff in the bios to auto, (ram, proc., etc.)

i had that problem once with a puter and it ended up being the ram not set to auto in the bios, dont ask me why, but it did it for me.

You might try changing your graphics drivers to the 66.** on the Nvidia site. I recently started having a similar problem out of the blue. I removed and install the WHQOL (whater) drivers and things are stable now. I have no idea why things went nuts our of the blue like they did but that was my fix.

i'm using the 67.02 beta dets. if it's not a heating problem (which it sounds like it is), try those drivers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back