[FreeBSD] Going to Xorg from Xfree86

not necessary X, no need to delete the ports tree, or uninstall anything other than the XFree ports.

cd /var/db/pkg
pkg_delete -f XFree\* imake\*
cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg
make install clean
pkgdb -F

I've dont this on both 5.2.1 and 4.10 without problems.

Programs will be compiled against Xfree. I tried it, and a lot broke. So i just started from scratch, and it is a lot faster. Whatever works i guess.

Like I;ve said, I've migrated on a couple of PC's without issue, just make sure to clean up dependencies, nothing broke.

I talked to my friend about it, and he had to keep his XFree libs installed to keep OpenOffice, if he had not done so it would refuse to start. In the end he recompiled against X.org and all was well. It all depends on wether you want the Xfree libs installed or not.

No XFree anything on my BSD boxes after I converted, but I don't use Open Office either. My 5.2.1 box had over 300 ports installed when I converted it and had no problems whatsoever, just had to run pkgdb -F to fix the dependencies from XFree to Xorg. Since Xorg and Xfree are pretty much the same as of right now, and the shared libraries are named the same, I don't see how having something compiled agains XFree4.3 is any different than Xorg6.8.0. Just speaking from my experience.

So am I.

Lets please keep it that. (Speaking as a moderator rather than myself)

portupgrade -af will fix all the library dependanceis if you are determined to be awkward about things.... absolutley no need to delete anything....

Unstuck the thread. Xorg has been made a first class citizen in FreeBSD for a while, and any people still stuck on XFree will be able to find this thread using the search function.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back