Free Remote Desktop

Yeh I would use Hamachi and then rdc as that keeps the evil RDC protocol port closed to the outside world.
I dont like the ideal of the RDC port being open to the wild as in the past it has had security implications with zero day exploits (mostly D.O.S. attacks) etc which would not be protected by a firewall. I dont believe it has any open hacks currently but hey, why risk it.

Meeting Space is pretty cool, but I don't remember if it has some of the issues I had with Netmeeting - I will have to recheck it out ;D

here works great .. we play chess :p
Meeting_by_Cosmindesign.jpg

Yeah, I love the way it can auto detect all meetings going on across the LAN.

I have actually pre-configured netmeeting on our builds to do the same thing, although obviously it isn't as pretty.

As far as Remote Desktop goes, its only there in Enterprise and Ultimate so other options will have to be looked at, it is really the only reason I would choose Ultimate over Home Premium but of course I still want the Media Center stuff (might be useful one day) so I can't go with Enterprise - which would require a weird kind of activation anyway I think - but I haven't looked into that.

Remote desktop seems a little different in Vista SP1, finally have the ability to authenticate when you connect :D

Attachments

• rdp.png
    rdp.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 77
It uses 6.1, but thats good to know if it comes to the XP client.

Basically when connecting to 2k servers i have to enter a username/password to connect and then a username/password once I am there - nuts

I know I can run a command on the servers to use the connecting authentication, but we have alot of servers!

2k3 servers don't even ask me for a username or password now which is great - and I don't use current credentials, but an account with the same credentials with an admin slapped on the end... fun!

I use realvnc on my home systems- xp home <-> vista home premium, and then orb on my mobile to connect to my laptops when I'm out.

Ideally now what I have my eye on is a slingbox and a nokia n95, loaded up with some mobile rdp software, then I'm all set :)

where's lordOfLA? I know how much he [sarcasm] loves VNC [/sarcasm]

It uses 6.1, but thats good to know if it comes to the XP client.

Basically when connecting to 2k servers i have to enter a username/password to connect and then a username/password once I am there - nuts

I know I can run a command on the servers to use the connecting authentication, but we have alot of servers!

2k3 servers don't even ask me for a username or password now which is great - and I don't use current credentials, but an account with the same credentials with an admin slapped on the end... fun!
Right but what I was pointing out is that pre SP1, you had to do what you describe (enter a username and password to connect and then when you get to the machine do it again). After the SP, it seems you don't have to do that - you can just authenticate when you connect to the host which is nice!

Never had that issue after I had made the change in the .msc
Basically using either current credentials or logon credentials was disabled in 2k by default.

Remote desktop seems a little different in Vista SP1, finally have the ability to authenticate when you connect :D

If you update the Remote Desktop Client through microsoft update you get roughly the same application on Win XP too.

I know most people freak about this but I use logmein for all my computers and my family's computers. One centrally located place for my to connect to any computer I need to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back