Free NTFS non-destructive partition resizer?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by JohnnyGreb, Feb 22, 2003.

1. JohnnyGreb

JohnnyGreb Guest

Does anyone know of a free non-destructive ntfs partition resizer? I've found myself in need of shrinking one of my NTFS partitions. No need of FAT32 support, so that's not a big deal. Something just to adjust an existing NTFS partition.

Thanks in advance.

-JG

2. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

The only program I know of that can do that reliably is Partition Magic (8). It's not free but it's worth it's price!

It will also non-destructively resize clusters too, which is handy if you've converted your FAT32 drive to NTFS (default resizes to 512byte clusters and the optimum is 4k clusters).

Non-destructively resizing partitions is pretty heavy stuff and I'm not sure if I would trust a free app if one exists. Partition Magic has been around for a while and has done their homework.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yeah, Partition Magic is well worth the money. I've used it several times before, and it works really well.

If you really want to take a shot at a free one, you could try Ranish Partition Manager. I've never tried it, so I don't know how well it works.
    Link: http://www.ranish.com/part/

4. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

don't use Ranish Partition Manager, unless you don't mind losing all your data on those partitions.

[​IMG]

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Well that settles it then ... go for Partition Magic.

6. JohnnyGreb

JohnnyGreb Guest

Ah well, I guess it was worth a shot.
    Thanks for the advice. It was only a one off thing as I usually think ahead and get my partitions right before hand. Not critical, and it be for only one time. I was just trying to avoid a reinstall since I just did it 2 weeks ago.

Thanks anyway.

-JG

7. lechtard

lechtard Guest

Acronis Partition Expert will do it als - but it's not free ...