Free Norton Systemworks 2003

Chastity - come on - don't tell me you are not still waiting anxiously for your free NSW 2003 Professional Edition??:eek: :eek:

This looks more like a hi-jack every post!;)

If nobody else has done it... I contacted Norton on this free software and they say the promotion never existed. I sent for too, so we were all scammed and spammed.

As my departed grandmother used to say, "If the deal is too god to be true, it isn't. Got to be more careful.

Bob S.

Originally posted by Bob S
If nobody else has done it... I contacted Norton on this free software and they say the promotion never existed. I sent for too, so we were all scammed and spammed.
Bob S.

I KNEW IT !!!!

They were testing the waters on dealer, that's all...woe is me

I think a couple of weeks into it we knew it was a scam! bummer though! I think we should hound them until they give us what we asked for!

I posted it was a scam the very first minut the link was put up.../me takes a bow

the promotion had no return for the company, and it made no marketing sense to me...there is always a return to a company to at least recoup the expense of the giveaway.

that was not apparent that I could see in this prom, so it didn't make sense

Originally posted by damnyank
Chastity - come on - don't tell me you are not still waiting anxiously for your free NSW 2003 Professional Edition??:eek: :eek:

This looks more like a hi-jack every post!;)

Well No I'm not damnyank as I never sined-up for it. I thought about but never got around to filling out the form or anything. I just feel sorry for the folks who did fill out the form and didn't get the product.

hey chastity

we were all pretty well prepared for this being a con of some sort

nobody really expected to get this.

gotta be honest

I don't know what I would have done with mine

I prefer avg, and no way on earth I would use the norton av over avg.

I prefer perfect disc defrag, and I would never use the norton speed disc over that

I use the xp internal firewall, along with spybot for outgoing monitoring, and no way I would use the norton firewall.

I think all this would have been to me would be a holiday gift for someone else

Originally posted by dealer
hey chastity

we were all pretty well prepared for this being a con of some sort

nobody really expected to get this.

gotta be honest

I don't know what I would have done with mine

I prefer avg, and no way on earth I would use the norton av over avg.

I prefer perfect disc defrag, and I would never use the norton speed disc over that

I use the xp internal firewall, along with spybot for outgoing monitoring, and no way I would use the norton firewall.

I think all this would have been to me would be a holiday gift for someone else

I figured most people who signed for it were figuring it was a scam but I also figure there are a few people who thought otherwise and those are the ones I feel bad for. WellI agree with you on speed disc not being a real good defrag I like Disk Keeper myself but Perfect Disc is pretty good to got a demo to check it out. I had bad luck with a free anti-virus program so I'm not in a big hurry to try another one but I might one of these days.

chastity, avg is so small and unotrusive, you can run both, to see if you like it.

then, if it's no good, since you kept the other one going, you won't get harm...give it a shot

I know this is a scam but I was just wondering, if it was a hoax and had nothing to do with Symantec how come they emailed me this morning with "New 2003 special value bundle offers"? They called me a "valued customer", I've never used any symantec software, or signed up for e-mails on their website. So if that promotion was nothing to do with them, how exactly did they get my e-mail address? :eek:

interesting indeed

maybe coincidense, maybe this wasn't a scamm. a conundrum

Just checked the e-mail again, it's not "as a valued customer" it's "as a registered Symantec user", how weird is that? I'm not registered, I've never used any of their software.

Norton Software Just Arrived!

UPS delivered my Norton Software today! Wait a minute... Sorry, just woke-up from this "too-good-to-be-true" dream...:D :blink:

Just thought an update was appropriate:

Originally posted by damnyank
I went to the Symantec site's Spam Watch Response Center and found the following:

Report suspicious online promotions of Symantec/Norton branded software by e-mail to spamwatch@symantec.com. You may also connect with the local contact of the Business Software Alliance (check the contacts list at www.bsa.org). In the US, you can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) about a spam email that you have received. Visit the FTC online to file a complaint, or forward the spam email to the FTC for investigation.

I sent an e-mail to their "spamwatch" and am awaiting a reply now - will pass it on if I get a reply!

Yea- I ordered it also - just in case it is legit!;)

I sent the above info to Symantec on Oct 17th, 2002 and I never received a response from them - until today!

Here is the response:

Automated Response to SPAM complaints received at Symantec SpamWatch:

Thank you for taking the time to alert us about the SPAM e-mail you
received. Please be advised that this e-mail is not affiliated with
Symantec or any approved Symantec partner and has been sent without
Symantec's knowledge or consent. This e-mail is most likely offering
counterfeit and/or pirated software or may be a credit card scam.

SPAM e-mails offering deeply discounted Norton or Symantec brand products
are highly suspicious and are investigated by Symantec. If you continue to
receive e-mails offering Symantec software at deeply discounted prices
and/or if the offers say that the software will arrive in anything other
than Symantec's standard yellow boxes, the offer is most likely illegal in
nature.

In response to these e-mails and the organizations/individuals behind them,
Symantec has developed a task force to investigate the e-mails and put a
stop to their proliferation, including initiating criminal and civil
action as appropriate We ask you for your assistance in helping us put a
stop to this practice by continuing to forward any similar e-mails to our
task force at SpamWatch@symantec.com, so that we can investigate who is
sending the e-mails and attempt to stop them. We rely on reports from
individuals such as you, employees and contacts throughout the hi-tech
industry about SPAM e-mails such as this.

If you have purchased software purported to be a Symantec software product
through any of these SPAM e-mail offers, we would appreciate it if you
would send us the disc you received together with the sleeve, the envelope
it was mailed to you in and any packaging, invoices, e-mails, order forms
and proof of payment or other documentation you have relating to this
purchase. We will then examine the product to determine if it is
counterfeit or authentic. Please send these materials to "Manager, Brand
Protection, Symantec Corporation, 20330 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino, CA
95014."

Lastly, we also advise you not to respond to these e-mails, as any response
only confirms the accuracy of your e-mail address, resulting in even more
messages filling up your In box.

Even though we do not authorize them, we apologize for the inconvenience
these e-mails have caused you and pledge to you that we are doing our best
to put a stop to them. For more information please go to
http://www.symantec.com and visit our SpamWatch Response Center at
http://www.symantec.com/spamwatch/ to learn more information about SPAM and
piracy, including the warning signs and tips to help you protect your
privacy and avoid SPAM and credit card fraud scams. You may also wish to
read Business Week's article entitled "Software Scams on Internet Time" to
learn more about our efforts to combat the spammed e-mails and the
proliferation of pirated and counterfeit Symantec software at
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/02_39/b3801035.htm

Thank you again.

Chad Sharpe
Internet Security Investigator

Symantec Corporation

Now the really funny thing is I did in fact send a letter to the CEO of Symantec on January 17th, 2003 including a copy of the email I received saying it "was in the mail" and a copy of the letter I received from Symantec saying opps - we didn't have anything to do with that being posted on the web.

Well, that was almost three weeks ago I sent the letter and now out of the clear blue - here's comes an automated response and the only inquiry I made that could have generated it was on Oct 17, 2002!

I'll have to look through the source/details of the email and see if I can spot anything - boy I wonder what is going to happen now - or if that was the last of it!

Maybe my next letter to the CEO should include all the previous letter did and ask why it took them from Oct 17 until today to "automatic reposnd".

:confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back