Free DVD Decoders Anyone?!

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Does anyone know of any good free dvd decoders?

i'd love a quick reply otherwise, i'm gonna have to buy one in a minutre

merged

Last edited by a moderator:
VLC (www.videolan.org/vlc) includes the library necessary to play DVD's, but if you're looking for decoders for other media players (like the ones WinDVD or PowerDVD provide), I don't think there are any.

i agree with netryder. videolan is one of the greatest free programs i've ever used. definitely look into it.

VideoLAN is amazing, I haven't seen a video file I haven't been able to play in VideoLAN.

I been using Showtime from Nero. Cyberlink Powerdvd is good also .. They are not free of course.

Though it's probably been posted enough I vote for VLC :classic:

Anyone else want to jump onto the VLC-recommending wagon?
laugh.gif

Kazaalite mega kodec pack has 4 different ones...

I would strongly suggest staying away from any kind of "codec packs" but it's up to you. Most, if not all of them, cause a complete mess when you have to uninstall them.

NetRyder said:
I would strongly suggest staying away from any kind of "codec packs" but it's up to you. Most, if not all of them, cause a complete mess when you have to uninstall them.
The good thing about Klite mage Kodec pack is that you can install only what you need such as the dvd decoder and leave the rest out. I only install the dvd decoder and the real and quick time plugin. why instal real player or quick time.

Sorry Guys After I Posted This I Search For Dvd Encoders So I Download The Vlc, Its Very Good, But Another Question, Does It Play All Regions Or Just 1, Because When I Put In A Uk Dvd Region 2 I Think, It Doesn't Play.

lancer said:
Sorry Guys After I Posted This I Search For Dvd Encoders So I Download The Vlc, Its Very Good, But Another Question, Does It Play All Regions Or Just 1, Because When I Put In A Uk Dvd Region 2 I Think, It Doesn't Play.
I believe VLC is region free .. if your seeing a region it's your hardware (aka DVD drive). If you feel brave you can look for programs to make your DVD drive region free. :classic:

Xie said:
I believe VLC is region free .. if your seeing a region it's your hardware (aka DVD drive). If you feel brave you can look for programs to make your DVD drive region free. :classic:
Check out DVD Region + CSS Free, that does the trick normaly (its not free, but there is a trial)

Free Apps

DVD Decrypter: http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

AND the Best:

DVD Shrink: http://www.dvdshrink.org/where.html

DVD Shrink Tutorials: http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php , http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

Allow you to rip to your harddrive, Remove Regions and make near perfect BACKUPS of your DVDs.....Very Easily.

I know you were looking for Decoders, but these are very useful proggies, especially if you have Kids (like I do....they destroy DVDs....so I must make a Backup...so they do not ruin my Original DVDs.)

Xie said:
Correct, it's region free (a blessing on OSX ;)) both my drives are region locked, as is the "DVD Player" for OSX, but I use VLC to watch my Region 1 and 3 discs all the time :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back